FIVE

ERIC SANDERS

"Then, when I look up, he's gone." I grunted, crossing my arms over my chest.

 "Loser," Dina muttered, rolling her eyes.

We were sauntering through Central Park, each of us holding a cup of coffee; I'd been drinking the one meant for Jake, whereas Dina had insisted on ordering one for herself before we began our trek through the concrete jungle that is New York City. Despite how average it might've seemed to the people who roamed these streets on a daily basis, its beauty never ceased to amaze me.

"I know, right?" I scoffed. "Who does he think he is, walking off like that?"

 "Maybe he was scared," Dina suggested, shrugging. I shook my head, recalling the confidence that gleamed in his lovely eyes.

"Nope," I said, "he's way too pretty to be scared, but I can't blame him; he seemed really flustered when I bumped into him."

 "Name?" she asked, sipping her coffee in the most elegant manner possible. Her nails were painted a light shade of blue today, matching her black coat, denim jeans and heeled ankle boots, and, as usual, she looked flawless.

What else could once expect from the wealthy and fashionably inclined?

 "Jake," I frowned, gulping down the last of his coffee, instantly filling me up with warmth. It's a pity that he missed out something that amazing.

"The next time you meet this Jake boy," Dina began, "disappear as soon as you get the chance, and make sure he feels the pain of being ditched." Grinning, I tossed the empty cup into a nearby trashcan, some lost part of me wishing that Jake hadn't left, just so that I could've spent more time talking to him.

He seemed nice enough. Well, until he left without so much as a goodbye.

 "I don't know whether to call you diabolical or a downright genius," I chuckled, watching as she did the same.

"Both will be gladly accepted." she grinned, gulping down the last of her coffee.

I enjoyed this; strolling around a park filled with trees, shrubs, leaves and birds, soaking in the beauty all around you. It filled me up with a heart-warming sense of safety, as if there were no shadows hiding in the light, that no danger had somehow intertwined itself among all of this beauty.

But I knew better.

 "So," Dina let out, "do you like him?" I blinked, biting my lip, unsure of how to answer.

 "I barely know him," I mumbled, averting my gaze to the large, leafy trees surrounding us.

"Does that really matter, though?" she retorted. With a sigh, I shrugged, clasping my hands together. Jake's disappearing act had certainly taken a heavy toll on my mood, but that's normal; I tend to feel so much that it can all turn into nothing before I know it.

 Could it have been something more, though?

"Eric," Dina called out, her voice firm as she glanced at her phone. "My family managed to sort everything out, so I have to go." I frowned, genuinely saddened by this. My tour of New York had barely started, and now I was going to have to find my way through this overwhelming city all on my own.

 "It's okay," I muttered. She gave me a quick hug before speaking again.

"Where are you off to now?" she inquired, smiling. I ran through my mental to-do list, crossing off what I'd already done.

"The Empire State Building," I chirped, "then I'll go home."

 "Have a fabulous time," she boomed, already walking off, her heels tapping softly against the ground. Before I knew it, the beautiful scenery ate her whole, leaving me almost stranded.