[2] What's that sound, Anna?

"Hey, Anna, why don't you turn the lights down there?"

I scoffed, tucking a strand of curly, brown hair behind my ear. "I'm sorry, big brother, but I do care about my own eyesight." I turned in my seat, meeting my brother's piercing glare. "Could you be a dear and just go to sleep with a pillow over your head for tonight?"

I smiled as I watched him do my bidding as he grumbled to himself. Although he had been strong and manly enough to fight during the Cuban something war, at home, Alexander had proved to have no defense whatsoever against my whims. I turned back to face my new Incandescent Lamp. It was powered by electricity-- A luxury that only few families (including mine, of course) could afford. It had been a birthday present from Father, but I've never actually used it before. Does my brother really think that I'm going to stop now? I picked up my needle, and began to sing my favorite tune as I resumed my sewing. 

          I love you as I never loved before

          Since first I met you on the village green.

          Come to me, e'er my dream of love is o'er.

I love that song. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing, and I would like to believe that James Thornton is an absolute genius for writing it! Oh, how I wish that I knew someone who would sing that to me someday. Unfortunately, all of Father's favorite suitors are pompous, self absorbed pricks who would probably use me for the "my wife is better than your wife" competitions that they all plan on having in the near future. 

          I love you as I loved you

          When you were sweet, when you were sweet sixtee--.

I was interrupted by the sound of a pillow softly hitting the headboard. "Anna Belle! I'm trying to get some sleep here!"

Oh my goodness, was he really not going to leave me alone? I turned around again, exhasperated. "Is it really that much of a trouble to you, mister soldier man? I thought that army boys were tougher than this"

Alexander threw his hands up. "Yes, madame, it is that big a trouble, and yes, we are." He stood up, rubbing his eyes, trying hard to adjust to the glaring light. My lips formed a proud smile. Even my own brother was blinded by our Father's wonderful gift. He leaned over my desk, looking straight into my eyes. I have to admit, he can be quite intimidating. "It's just that you're worse than the war criminals. So do you mind doing that in your own room instead?"

The look on my face quickly transformed into a pout. "But my room hasn't been wired for it yet!" Surely, he would let me stay here, right? "Father's having that done next week!"

"Then go to the parlor. That's been wired for a few months now."

I sighed, standing up. "You should know that you're a terrible brother." 

This time, it was his turn to smile, mimicking the one I had given him earlier. Suddenly, I regretted being so cocky. Now, he was just using my own actions against me. "I know that. Now, could you be a dear and continue that outside so I could maybe sleep?"

I stomped down on the hard, marble floor, hoping that my point got across. I hurriedly stuffed all my things into my arms. I decided it was best if I left the lamp here for the night. Perhaps I can use it against him on another night, when I think of better comebacks. Besides, there was a chandelier AND a furnace downstairs anyway. "Fine." I walked over to the door, then back at Alexander, who was just watching me with a smug look on his face. "But the next time one of your uniforms gets torn or destroyed, don't even dare come crying to me."

I stormed out, slamming the door behind me. I made my way down the hall, hearing the eerie sound of the wind that was blowing outside. The sky had gotten dark early tonight-- It was barely even half past six.