The Story of Khmer New Years's Deva (Goddess)

The story goes that once there was a very smart boy names Dhamapala Khumar, born to a very wealthy family. Dhamapala was exceptional in that he spoke 4 languages, read at 7 years of age the ancient texts and canonical scriptures that monks study and spoke to the birds.

The village people loved him as he was not only clever but also kind. His father built him a beautiful temple close to the river where the birds lived and the Dhamapala would speak to the birds. But then, the king of the Gods, Kapila Maha Brahma became jealous of Dhamapala and issued a challenge.

He told Dhamapala that if he could not answer the question he posed to him, he would cut his head off. But, if he could answer it, Kapila Maha Brahma will cut of his own head.

The question: Where do you find happiness in the morning? The noontime? And, in the evening?

As Dhamapala did not know the answer, he ran away to the forest. Fearing for his life he slumped into a tree where 2 eagles were perched in a conversation. Dhamapala heard them talking about the question on happiness to which they gave the answer.

So Dhamapala learned: in the morning, you find happiness in your face; midday, you find it in your body, and at night, your feet.

Dhamapala gave the God the answer and he went to the king of the Gods and gave him the answer. Because it was correct, the king of the Gods had his own head cut off. He then told his eldest daughter to put his head in a jieung pain and to carry this golden tray circle around the Sumeru mountain for 60 minutes and then bring his head to Kailas temple on heaven.

His head cannot be thrown to the ground as this will cause fire, to the sky as this will cause drought or to the ocean as this will dry up so the seven daughter have to take turns carrying the head.

From then on, as the king of Gods cannot anymore bless his people, he sent his seven daughter as his angels to give his Khmer people blessing at the start of new year.

~Seven Daughters of Kapila Maha Brahma~

> First Angel: Dungsa Devi (Tungsa Tevy)- The Sunday Angel who comes riding a bird of fire, the Phoenix

> Second Angel: Goraga Devi (Koreakeak Tevy)- The Monday Angel who comes riding a Tiger. This is the 2014 angel as the first day of Khmer New Year. This year is Monday

> Third Angel: Rakyasa Devi (Reakyasa Tevy)- The Tuesday Angel who comes riding an Assatara (Horse)

>Fourth Angel: Manda Devi (Mondea Tevy)- The Wednesday Angel who comes riding a donkey

>Fifth Angel: Kiriny Devi (Keriney Tevy)- The Thursday Angel who comes riding an elephant

>Sixth Angel: Kimira Devi (Kemira Tevy)- The Friday Angel who comes riding a buffalo

>Seventh Angel: Mahodara Devi (Mahouterea Tevy)- The Saturday Angel who comes riding a peacock

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of Sumeru Mountain on the side >>>>>>

Hope enjoyed this story!

Please CommentVoteFollow Check out my other books