Chapter V -Without you

I left the big building and I felt so happy that I decided to tell my mom. I called her, but there was no answer.

So, I decided to leave her a message on voice mail, “Hello, mom. I got that contract I was talking about. So, what do you think? I’m so ecstatic, I feel like jumping around!” I paused. “By the way, where are you? You know they invented a thing called ‘phone’? You can talk to people whenever you need to, you know? Oh, a friend of mine does not have a place to stay, you think she can stay with us?  Call me when you can please, love you.”

After a few seconds, I felt my phone vibrate. It was a message from Jake. 

Hey babe, please come at my place when you can? Let me explain… xx Jake 

I came by a while later, and was greeted by the familiar porch of his home. I knocked on his door, and I heard him say, “Come in.” I stepped inside and he came out with just a towel around his waist.

“Two conditions: First, I’ll give you 15 minutes to talk; second, would it kill to put something on?” He grinned. Hmph.

“It’s not like you haven’t seen something of these,” he pointed to his, ehem, six pack.

I just gave him look which came across wanting to strangle him and punch him in the gut. He nodded briskly, understanding very well that I was serious and he went upstairs to dress up.

He came down pretty fast.

After a moment’s hesitation, he asked, “So…have you gotten the contract?”

“Come on, Jake! You know you don’t want to waste your time or mine. Just say what you have to say, and then I’ll leave.” 

He cleared his throat. “I got a job in Birmingham and I’m proud of it.” 

I raised a brow and nodded in approval. “Bad boy turned good. Usually it’s the other way around. What can I say? Good for you!” I gave him a quick hug and pulled away.

He grinned sheepishly. “Yeah…”

“But what about Aimee?” The grin was gone. He did not reply. “How could you? What happened to you Jake? You’re not the same Jake I’ve known and loved once. You didn’t even call. You simply don’t care and that’s just it, huh? It always has.” I sighed.

He looked confused at first, and then finally just weary. He mumbled, “You’re just upset that I’m leaving and you’re gonna miss me. Admit it.”

“What the—,” I stopped myself. “Jake, what in the world is wrong with you?”

He was furious now. He pointed at himself and then at me. “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you, Alice? You didn’t even tell me that you’re dating someone!” I stiffened. How did he know that? “You’re just gonna pretend because it’s your fault and it doesn’t feel good?  I didn’t call, but how about you?”

“This is crazy! So suddenly it’s my fault? I’m the guilty one?” I was yelling at this point, but what do you expect? His attitude had gotten the best of me and I felt extremely aggravated.

“It’s about time you need to realize that you’re not always right.” 

I stared at him in disbelief. “Wait a second. So I’m the one who cheated on my girlfriend? I’m the one who left a girl homeless?” I didn’t even let him reply.