Chapter 1

*Allison’s POV

It was cold and damp. It had been three days since that terrible night. I still haven’t ate and I’m beginning to regret only bringing my Iphone and not grabbing my money. But it was too late now. I’m already too far away from home and no friends or family that have anything to do with me. To everyone I was invisible; non-existent. No one saw me as a human. They saw me as different, unusual, the outcast. My own mother didn’t want me. This was all too much. I can’t take it anymore. This horrible nightmare replayed in my head like a record on repeat.

*Memory

It was Friday night. My mother was at work and I was at home alone with my little brother and sister. While they laid fast asleep on the bottom bunk, I checked my Facebook and listened to Don’t Judge Me by Chris Brown. My night was going pretty well, until he showed up. It was my mom’s low-life boyfriend. “What do you want?” I questioned. “Oh, got an attitude, do we now?” He said. “What. Do. You. Want.?” “Give me my money back.” He slurred. “What money?” I wondered. “The money you stole.” “I didn’t steal shit from you!”

He looked over at my jar of money sitting on my computer desk. I have been working for 2 years at Sonics. I didn’t trust the banks, so I kept my money at home.

“By the looks of it, you’ve been stealing quite a bit from me.” He stumbled. “What the hell are you talking about?!” I questioned. He walked toward my money jar, grabbing a fist full of cash and threw my jar to the ground. “Next time you’ll think twice about stealing money from me.” He spat, walking toward the hallway. I jumped off the top bunk, landing on shards of glass. But I took no notice to the pain in my right foot. My adrenaline was raging throughout my body.

“What the hell? Give me my money back! I worked for that!” He smirked “Don’t you mean stole it from me?” “i didn’t steal shit..” “Liar!” “I’m not lying?! Chad, seriously give me my money back.” I whined. “How about, no.” He laughed. Before he could fully leave my bedroom, I yanked him back into the doorway. “Give me it now!” I yelled, pinning him against the wall. “You little bitch. How dare you put your hands on me?!” He spat.

I coward back knowing the decision I had just made was horrible. He continued to comforward me. “Who the fuck do you think you are?” I mumbled, but before I could say anything else a hand came crashing across my face. I collided with the  ground. Whimpers escaped my mouth as my face stung with pain. “ You aren’t so tough now, are you? And don’t go whining to your mom about it either. “ “Whatever.” I cried. He laughed, exiting my room.

I picked myself up off the ground, limping over to the bathroom. My right foot begun to burn as it hit the cold tile. I had just remembered the shards of glass were still embedded in my skin. I sat on the toilet lid, propping my foot up on my lap. A wash cloth was gritted between my teeth while I plucked each piece out. Peroxide was then splashed on the cuts, then wiped clean and dabbed with Neosporin. I wrapped the wound and continued back to my room. Glass had been strewn everywhere. I walked into the kitchen to retrieve the broom and dust pan.

After the glass was cleaned up, I sat down to think of my excuse to tell mom how I injured my foot and how I bruised my face. Hopefully she wouldn’t notice my foot until tomorrow, I thought. I’ll just tell her I was walking around town bare-footed and step on some glass. As for the bruise, I’ll tell her Tiffany and I were wrestling and she accidently hit me. I was torn from my thoughts by a slamming car door. Mom. I jumped up. I had to get to her before Chad did. I limped to the living room as fast as I could only to find Chad playing Tom-Foolery with her.  

“Is it true Allison? You’ve been stealing from Chad? I thought you had a job? This doesn’t make any sense. Why would you need his money?” “I do have a job! He’s drunk, Mom! He stole that money from me!” I yelled. “I have had enough of your lying!” Chad butted in. “Deana if you don’t make her leave then I am.” Chad demanded. “No!” My mother cried. “It’s me or her.” Chad said.

I already knew the answer. Me. She looked from Chad to me. Her eyes pleaded with forgiveness. As she opened her mouth to say something, I grabbed my Iphone off the living room table and ran out the front door.

*Memory ends

That was the last time I’ve heard or seen my family. Tears stained my face as I rocked myself back and forth on the sidewalk searching for just a little comfort.