MBIMBE ~ Chapter 6

*May’s point of view*

I yawned and stretched my arms up from under the covers as far as they would go. I sighed and looked out of my bedroom window. My room was the only one with a window other than, of course, the kitchen and lounge, which were in fact all one room – which was also a dining area.

            I pulled the cover away from me and swung my legs over to the side of the bed. I slipped down and conveniently into my slippers. They drowned out my footsteps as I walked out main room of the flat. I gasped when I saw dad sleeping on one of the leather settees. His feet hung about a foot off the edge and loud snores rung through the air. I guessed mom wasn’t in too good a mood with him. And really, I didn’t think it was any other way, during the past weeks dad and mom hadn’t been getting along. Me and my brothers probably just supposed it was a matter of time before the couch would be the new bed.

            I silently grabbed my phone from the coffee table and tip-toed back to my room. The door clicked to a shut and I sat down on my bed. I tapped my phone and the bright home screen flashed up. It showed I had a new message…from Liam.

Hey soz bout all that. I feel real bad bout adam, how is he? x

I smiled slightly that he put a kiss on the end for me. But still I was torn two ways, he was my brother’s ex, it seemed so wrong…and god knows how I would explain that one to my friends at school, but then whenever I saw him, shivers were sent down my spine and I just felt such deep feelings. And I swear, never had I ever had feelings for a guy.

            I typed back in response, may I say very slowly as I wasn’t a very good texter. Livvy always tried to teach me but I never learnt, even though throughout time I had gathered enough evidence to reason that she wasn’t human. Because fingers don’t move that fast.

After u left he punched the wall and mom got real angry but I think he’s ok now. Hows yr nose? x

The kiss just came out, without even thinking about it. And this time it felt right, even encouraged the way I felt about Liam, whose reply came very quick. Who knows? He might have been the same kind of creature as Livvy.

Its ok, hurts still but ive broken it before so its not too much of a suprise. Do u want to maybe go out sum time? xx

He had broken his nose before? Maybe there was more to him than I already knew, which, to be honest was not a lot.

After school maybe but I stil dont feel right bout adam and how u 2 hav just broken up x

I put down my phone and went to my cupboard to find some clothes. I picked out a very uncoordinated outfit with black skinny jeans, a bright, neon orange polo shirt and a blue hooded sweatshirt. And just to add to the strangeness, sports trainers with over the ankle stripy socks. Livvy had given up on my dress sense years ago.   

Slowly, I opened my bedroom door, knowing now that my dad was out there and so I couldn’t make any noise. I quickly grabbed my shoulder bag from beside the front door and went out into the brightly lit hallway, which was always brightened by the comforting orange wall lights. I looked for a split second over at the lift, having two minds as to whether to take it or not. But to be honest, I didn’t feel like listening to the annoying and repetitive lift music – I’d had enough of it for the week. I jogged slightly to the stairs and began the descent, taking two as a time

            Down in the lobby I could start to hear cars passing by outside and the sound of San Francisco waking up. I smiled at the doorman who opened the door for me with a little bow afterwards. The doormen worked on rotary shifts and so there would always be someone there for you, even at ludicrous times of night. An instant thought came to mind of when Livvy once wondered over to see me at around two in the morning. I still had no idea why. But still, if the doorman who was on shift knew you he would let you in, otherwise, and if you didn’t have a key to an apartment in the building, they would refuse you access. Quite strictly as well.

  Livvy lived only a few blocks away, in a small yet homely apartment on the second floor. Her mother sadly passed away just a few months after she was born and her father took care of her. But most of the time she was very independent and from experience I knew that if she had her eye set on something, be it a goal or, god forbid a boy, then she’ll get it and there was no stopping her.

            The block of flats she lived in didn’t have a doorman and so I pressed the buzzer, waiting for her to pick up and say she was coming down. Every morning on a school day I would come and pick her up so that we could walk to school, surprisingly, both of us liked the walk down to the school, and shockingly the best part was walking up them! Soon enough the speaker crackled and I heard what I thought was possibly ‘Coming!’, but it was hard to tell.

            A few minutes later Livvy came skipping out of the door, smiling like a Cheshire cat. “Hey!” She sang. Obviously she’d put a little too much sugar on her cereal. 

            “Hey,” I replied, smiling with a little less enthusiasm than my best friend, “By the way, they really need to get that intercom fixed you know.”

            She nodded and rolled her eyes, “Yeah, I know, Dad’s talked to the super about it but he said he was too busy!” The way she had to say everything in a high pitched and loud tone made my hypothesis about the cereal true. “But I mean, busy is like going to get your hair done or buying new shoes. Hey do you like my new nails?” She shoved her hands in front of my nose but only for a second and then she pulled them back quickly to admire them herself, forgetting totally that she had actually interrupted herself mid-sentence. “I like the little gem on that one, and the swirly pattern on my little fingers.” She gasped suddenly and turned around to face me again, her hands clamped down urgently on my shoulders, “What happened with Liam? I bet you punched him, didn’t ya?”

           I shook my head and pulled Livvy’s hands from their iron grasp on my shoulders, urging her to walk with me, “No, I didn’t punch him. Adam did that for me.” I looked up and now it was my turn to grin like a Cheshire cat.

            Livvy’s eyes widened and she threatened to stop but luckily for me she didn’t – after all, another late would probably get us a detention. “Adam did? Oh my gosh, did you tell him? Did he see you? Huh?”

            “Ok, dial it down on the questions please?” I emphasized lowering with my hands and she bit her lip guiltily, “It was kind of complicated. So, you left us in the café, I was so angry at him…and then, somehow it all seemed to go away and he became so sweet.”

            My best friend opened her mouth as if to speak but I put my finger to her lips, “But I told him to go away and that was that…until a few days later.” Livvy let out a happy yet frighteningly high pitched shriek and clapped her hands together. And so I told her the whole story, the kisses, the break-up and of course the hand through the wall. And I felt sorry for my poor ears, because every one of my sentences was ended by an enthusiastic sound effect from Livvy, such as that previous shriek, just louder each time.