Night Ride

Night came around the desert like a soft blanket, bringing the chill and renewing the fresh air. The moon lit everything with and ethereal glow. The silence was more overpowering then any noise could have been on the open plane. Even the fire that crackled in front of her seemed dulled in the deathly quiet. The orange enitity provided little light and even less warmth, but succeeded in casting a slight glow on her soft features. She knew she shouldn't have lit the tinders but did any way. Any one looking for her could easily spot the glow from miles away on such flat ground. A very stupid plan for a wanted woman. She scanned the dark range for anything that moved or any threat... or male. She shook her head and stirred the flames again. She leaned against the sandstone wall and closed her eyes for a moment. She could still see the man that had put her in this situation. 

Sandy hair, angled face, smooth smile, mystic eyes that changed from light blue when he laughed, to a steely grey when he killed. He was the bounty hunter of the region, and a fabulous lover. She could still see that one day in Hopes Town that made her into this. That big, hairy, drunken scot who had drawn his gun on her lover's back. She had pulled the trigger first. She still remembered the sound that rent the air when the shot had been fired, how the big brute fell hard. How he didn't rise. As she stared in shock at what she had done, he had turned around and saw the smoking gun in her hands. Their eyes connected and his had been the steel grey, he had ever only looked at her with the gentle blue. So, she fled. Ran. Hopped on her mount and rode off as fast as she could. Not daring to look back. The scot she had killed had money, and lots of it. It didn't take more then three days to find out she had a price on her head. She bought provisions and supplies with what money she had had in her satchel that day. New clothes, new gun, new her. She didn't wear stifeling dresses anymore, instead, brown riding pants and a loose white shirt. A black hat kept her light blond hair mostly hidden away. And she had the gun secured to her hip. It rarely came off now. Baths were a pleasure of the past, as well as washrooms in general. Now she washed in frigid streams and avoided towns unless absolutely necessary.

She opened her eyes and looked out into the blackness barely lit by the full moon. She stood and went over to her horse. Strike. Not a very feminine name for a mare but that's what she did best. A wild mustang that she had found kicking and rearing as if she was being attacked by a swarm of bees. Her coloring was a blue and white roan, her legs were longer and more delicate then any other horse she had seen. Strike was built for speed and only allowed her to ride aback her. They had shared a connection that couldn't be explained. She went up and rubbed the velvety nose and fed her a handful of oats with a smile. "You're going to get fat old girl." Strike had adjusted rather easily into the life of constant riding. The first week or so she couldn't do more then a trot and be sweating hard after a few hours. Now she had no problems going all day. Strike lifted her head suddenly and her ears perked to the east. She automatically followed her horse's gaze looking for anything. Her breath stilled and she listened hard into the night. She didn't hear anything, but Strike lifted her head a bit higher and her nose flared. You always trust the horse. She quickly turned and kicked out the fire and scattered the coals so they would cool faster.

She mounted and rode along the bluff, after a few minutes the night was bright as day to her eyes. The moon lit up everything almost brilliantly, she rode up to the top of the plateau and looked back. That's when she heard it. The beating of hoofs at a run. She took Strike to a small patch of brush and rock then got off and walked the few feet to see her previous campsite. He was there, squatting over the coals and feeling their heat. She cursed under her breath. When spending the night in her lovers arms she learned how the out laws covered their tracks and how he figured them out. And what he had a hard time reading. She could only hope the other bounty hunters had the same troubles. She couldn't see this one clearly but didn't have time to study. Because he vaulted back on his horse and started to follow her trail.

She turned, ran back to Strike and lept on. She squeezed her thighs and tapped her heels. Strike lurched into a run. Letting a lawman get this close was stupid mistake she might have to pay for. Strike lengthened out under her and went faster with her urging. Her stride would definitely be heard, now it was a matter of race. Strike ran, as fast as she could in the dark that was safe. She turned and looked behind them. She couldn't believe what she saw. He was barreling down on top of them. she turned back and tapped her flank again. Strike kicked harder and stretched out completely. She didn't look back again, she didn't have to. She could hear the horse's rapid stride behind them getting closer. She urged Strike on, she was tired after a full days ride but put out the best she could. She listened to the horses race and knew he was gaining. Taking out her gun she turned and was prepared to shoot but she misinterpreted the distance. He was only a short ways away. She fired and the shot went wild, because at that moment, when she let go of the reins as she had done many times in the past, Strike faltered. She missed a stride and jerked to catch herself.

The rider pulled up beside them in a heart beat and reached out. His arm snagged her waist and tore her completely off Strike. For a heart stopping moment she was suspended in air then she was tossed over his lap. The wind knocked out of her she lay on the saddle, the horn thrusting into her ribs. She felt the horse's gait begin to slow as she drew her first breaths and collected her wits. She became limp on his lap and started sliding off. He grabbed her hips and stopped his horse. she counted to three then slammed her elbow into his thigh and lept off. He made a grunt of pain. Strike had followed and she made a run for her. She might have gotten 5 yards when an arm wrapped around her waist once more and sent her off balance. She felt them both start to fall, he slammed her against him and took the brunt of the fall. Her hat having flung off some where along in the ride. Her hair fell across his face. she slammed him wherever she could reach. No, No I don't want to hang! He rolled her over and pinned her arms against her chest while she lay on top of him.

"Stop it Emma." He growled in her ear. She paused for a minute at the sound of her name, that voice... Oh God, She lifted her foot and slammed the heel of her boot into his shin his grip loosened and she rolled. "Ow! God damn it Em!" He jumped on top of her and pinned her arms into the dirt. Straddling her hips, she couldn't move. "Let me go you Bastard!" she screamed. She knew now just who he was. Who had a horse faster the Striker. Who had that damn voice. Who wouldn't shoot her from behind, or at all. He always like the bounty when they were alive. "Now is that any way to speak to your lover?" He was out of breath but the amusement in his voice was loud and clear. She froze under him "Rafe, Please... if I ment anything to you." his real name was Raphael, but he hated it. He stilled on top of her and stared down at her. "Rafe?" she said rather shakily. He leaned down and kissed her.

At first she was so surprised she didn't move. Then her mind worked in a frenzy. Was he trying to set her off balance? did he actually mean this kiss or was it just a ploy to get the rope around her wrists,or worse her neck. No! He was trying to distract her. He would still turn her in and she would die, thats the only thing he took seriously. She ripped her mouth away and arced into him to unseat him. She managed to get a hand free and slammed her fist into his ribs. He grunted and grabbed her wrist with new force. "You little viper." he hissed. "Don't kiss me you fucking asshole! If you're going to bring me in do it without manipulating me." He stared down at her and shook his head, he put it closer to her face. She saw it then, flashing silver eyes.