Chapter 1: The Where It All Began, With a Carton of Milk

Chapter 1: The Day Where It All Began, With A Carton Of Milk

That had been a strange day. Sitting hear after everything that has happened in the past couple months, I can’t help but think that it shouldn’t be strange in comparison to some other crazy things that have happened, but it just feels different. I guess it's because it was the first really crazy thing that happened to me, and it started all the other crazy things that happened to me, maybe that's why

As I am preparing for my future and I was told that CIA operatives do a lot of mission summaries I suppose I should start to get used to this, this is my practice. I, Ever Emerald Gratter, am not a normal girl. I know that all teenage girls think they are special, and they are, but I am more than special. I suppose you could say I’m abnormal, weird, I’m the plot that isn’t pointed in the Nation Survey, and the name that no one knows unless they are like me.

It was a normal day at the start, I had no idea that by the next night my life would never be the same. I had just been moved to Los Angeles, California eight months before. My last foster home had been in Houston, Texas. I woke up on a sweet September morning, it was about seventy-five degrees Fahrenheit outside that little apartment. LA was nice, it was one of my favorite places so far because of the heat. Houston was blistering heat, but the more northern places I had been weren't any more fun in the winter. It was a very nice day, I could see the sun shining with some clouds and it was bright. The world almost felt happy.

I woke up just like I had every other day. I rolled out of my twin bed that had plain white sheets and a white comforter on it. I stood up on the beige carpet and headed towards the dark wood wardrobe. I didn’t have much for clothes since I was never anywhere more than a year and half, this meant little work and almost no money, but I got by. I threw on a pair white denim shorts and a yellow t-shirt. I threw the blue cotton shorts and a white t-shirt that I wore as pajamas into a hamper to wash later.

I walked through my room that had yet to be decorated, my new folks said that I could decorate it next month, but that until Mr. Jessen’s case load let up then they wouldn’t have time to help me and they preferred to be a part of the process. He was a lawyer. I didn’t mind, some families told me that I simply couldn’t decorate, this was a big improvement. I had just gotten here in January I think, I didn’t really keep track anymore.

I walked out of my room and down the hall to the kitchen where I grabbed an apple and ate it with some peanut butter. Mr. Jessen was at work and Mrs. Jessen had to do something today so I was left alone to baby-sit the younger kids. They would be up pretty soon, there were four of them. John was 12, Jesse was 14, Caroline was 9, and Marie was 8. I went to the fridge to get out something to make them for breakfast. I decided to make them pancakes since everyone liked those but eggs and french toast were very controversial in this house. I saw that we had everything except the milk, I supposed I would have to run to the store. I saw that Mrs. Jessen had left me a note on the counter. I opened it and it read:

Dear Ever,

I hope everything goes alright today, just call me if you need anything. I think we might be low on groceries so if you need anything to make the kids food then there is 20$ in the envelope. Thanks.

Love,

Margaret

I supposed that once John was up I would run to the store. I only had to wait for about 5 minutes before John walked in wearing boxers, how classy. I think that all teenage guys do it because all the ones that I have lived with wake up and walk around in just underwear for most of the morning. I said to him “I’ll make pancakes when I get back but we need milk. I’m gonna go get some, I should only be gone for about half an hour so keep an eye on everyone for me while I’m gone alright?” He nodded to me and sat in front of the television before yelling a goodbye to me.