Meddlers In Time total- text version

Meddlers In Time

Wayne Watson

Smashwords Edition

Copyright 2009

Smashwords Edition, License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be resold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each person you share it with. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then you should return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or otherwise able to take legal action against me, is purely coincidental.

All the names were pulled out of my memory and applied more or less at random. You ain't that character just because you share a first name and a trade.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Foreword

You can’t change history- can you?

No- but you can make a new reality when you alter events. ‘Meddlers in Time’ explores the shaping of a parallel earth, by altering events in 9th century England.

A small band of time-traveling adventures recruit a specialist team, mainly of engineers and set about advancing 9th century technology. While doing this, they have to fight off invasions, win over the local population and have a bit of fun along the way.

Leaving Earth for a temporary base many light-years away, they train and prepare for the time jump back to the 9th century. Following the jump, they establish a stronghold and start making contact with the local inhabitants. Meanwhile, a more deadly mission is changing the political structure of this world.

As the tale unravels, the story of the time/space travel capabilities is revealed, along with some of the unexpected effects of using this technology.

Some were lured by money; other by the adventure- a few just wanted a new chance at life. One thing remains constant- time travel changes all that follow this path…

Meddlers In Time- Wayne Watson

PART ONE

Prelude-

“Last magazine” said Jenny as she reloaded, snapping off another two quick shots. “Hope the Transit crew is on the ball.” Another burst of 10mm fire splattered against the rear of the stairwell, as the gate finally snapped open.

Sonja burst through carrying a green canvas satchel charge and yelled “Break left.” Tearing at the initiator cord, she heaved the satchel down the stairs.

The three flung themselves through the gate field, hitting the ground hard and rolling to their left. The instant they were all clear of the field, Andrea shut the gateway off, preventing the blast of the demolition charge from flashing through to their side of the gate. They picked themselves up and dusted off the dry, yellow dirt. Jenny was bleeding slightly from the cheek, nicked by a bullet fragment.

***

“Last time I stay at that hotel.” said Wayne.

“That time period is too crazy”, said Jenny, “Good work Sonja, Andrea. - we had about another minute before the heavy weapons arrived”

“Glad to return the favour” said Sonja, “I guess we had better rule out future travel into the next decade.”

“The whole fucking planet turns into a goddamn police state”, Wayne said, “We need a new home or we have to keep tripping backwards, so let’s do that- make a new timeline”