Chapter Three

Natasha POV

I watched as she dropped Durandall's limp body to the floor.

Shadow turned to face me, her left eye glowing brightly.

She smiled. "Target terminated."

Everyone swiftly turned their guns on her. I was completely shell shocked.

Just what is she?

At that moment all the guards opened fire on her at once.

"No, wait!" I exclaimed.

It was too late. The bullets from their guns collided with an invissible shield, the impact points briefly flashing red-black.

"Such nuisances. Void four." Shadow said, and all four guards dropped to the floor with gaping holes in their chests.

The door opened and Barton came in, his bow drawn and an arrow at the ready.

He noticed the gruesome scene before him, his eyes going wide. He glanced at me, a look of relief crossing his face, which was instantly chased away by fear.

Shadow's attention shifted to Barton. "A new threat."

I moved without thought. I grabbed Shadow's arm and pulled her towards me, leveling my gun with the bottom of her rib cage. I had jer caught completely off guard. I didn't hesitate.

I fired a single shot.

The bullet found its mark. As I expected, her shield was down because she'd dropped her guard.

The red glow of her left eye faded, returning to its original color.

She collapsed to her knees right when the cieling exploded into pieces.

I backed up towards Clint, examining the cieling. Masked soldiers descended from the opening, just two of them. One of them checked on Shadow, gathering her in his arms while the other surveyed the room. He noticed us, noddin in our direction.

"Your time will come," he said, before the two of them escaped the way they came. I caught a glimpse of their insignia as they ascended.

"Who were those guys?" Clint questioned.

There was no mistaking it.

"They were from Hydra."