Chapter Five ☆

Eliza's eyes widened in disbelief as she witnessed the astounding display of power. Grace, the woman she had known as her mother, had swiftly and effortlessly defeated the creature that had posed a threat to their lives.

 Grace's movements were fluid and precise, lacking any trace of hesitation as she plunged a weapon into the creature's chest. It was a sight that shattered Eliza's perception of her mother, revealing a skilled and ruthless assassin.

With a cold gaze, Grace glanced down at Eliza before turning away, leaving her behind. Jared, Eliza's companion, voiced his disapproval, his words laced with concern.

"And you wonder why we constantly remind you to be home before eight," Jared remarked.

Wiping wet glitter off her jacket, Grace muttered under her breath, "Fairy blood is the worst."

Locking her eyes on Eliza, Grace ordered, "Get up, Liza."

Shaking off the pain from her fall, Eliza gathered herself and pushed aside her confusion. She hurriedly followed her mother, her mind racing with questions. Could her broomstick, the innocent object she had always known, truly transform into a deadly weapon? Perhaps her mother's seriousness about her carrying it at all times and adhering to curfew had a valid reason.

Yet, the woman walking ahead of Eliza seemed distant and foreign, a fearless warrior devoid of mercy or emotion. It contrasted sharply with the nervous and solitary figure Eliza knew at home, talking to imaginary things late at night.

Eliza's friend, Dawn, slumped against the rocky wall, her head resting wearily. She appeared to be asleep, her chest rising and falling in a slow rhythm. Eliza moved to assist her, but her mother swiftly intervened, striking her hand with leather gloves.

"Are you insane?" Grace snapped. "Can't you see the glowing marks on her neck and skin?"

Taking a closer look, Eliza noticed an array of colorful marks, resembling hickies, illuminating Dawn's skin. Dawn's fingers twitched involuntarily.

"Fairy hickies are contagious, Eliza," Grace explained, annoyance seeping into her voice. "The toxic saliva from those marks enters the bloodstream, amplifying emotions and numbing reactions. The victim becomes trapped in a seductive trance until death or corruption takes hold."

Adjusting her gloves and securing her chocolate brown hair in a ponytail. Grace could see the memory replaying in her Eliza's eyes. The pain, the burning arm, it all came rushing back. Grace averted her gaze, refusing to meet Eliza's questioning stare, and refocused on Dawn.

"You should be grateful you didn't succumb. I suspected something like this might happen during your transformation," Grace muttered in disappointment. "You should never be alone out here without me. I told you to be home before eight."

Jared chimed in, emphasizing the importance of Eliza's mother's warnings. "We both warned you."

Unable to contain her frustration any longer, Eliza yelled at her mother, her voice filled with anger and desperation. "You never tell me the truth about who I am! Maybe, just once, you could be honest with me!"

Forcing herself away from the scene, Eliza trudged down the path towards her car, determined to distance herself from the chaotic revelations. In the distance, she could hear Jared's voice.

"Are you going to cure her here or back at Eliza's place?" Jared said.

A sudden surge of energy crackled through the air, accompanied by a gust of wind that blew Eliza's hair into her face. Startled, she turned around, only to find Jared and Dawn nowhere in sight.

Eliza's hands trembled uncontrollably as her heart raced in her chest. She hurried towards her car in a desperate attempt to escape the overwhelming events of the night. However, her frustration grew when the car wouldn't open, and she struck the door in anger, recoiling in pain from the impact.