Saved By You: One

One

The droplets of snow laced around the edges of the window ledge outside were slowly melting as the sun, soft and bright in the sky, cast its rays upon the land below. Cool air flooded my bedroom still and frost hung in the air. Winter was not yet over, but its end was nearing. 

I shivered, struggling to crawl underneath the duvet cover, the only thing that was keeping me warm. A tingling sensation spread through my red cheeks and nose, and I pulled the blanket up over my head as goose bumps crawled up and down my legs. Getting out of bed was going to be hard this morning, as it was every morning. For a while, I just lay in bed, trying to let sleep take me again, but when I realized it was no use, and I was far too awake, I let out a huff.

Hesitantly, I peeled the blanket from my chilled body and quickly rose to my feet. My hands immediately shot up to my shoulders as I tried to hug myself to keep warm, and I hurried to my wardrobe, ready to pick out an outfit. Today I was having an interview for a job that was very important to me- almost my dream job, in fact. I'd been studying hard at university for years, and after all this time I'd finally completed and managed to find myself a good job. This interview was something I most certainly didn't want to blow- it wasn't often you got the chance to try for your dream.

I picked out an elegant but sleek black pencil skirt, which sat just above my knees when on, and a white blouse, matched with the only blazer I owned, which was a black woolen one. My lucky pair of plain black heels went with the outfit nicely and still looked lady-like, so I went with those as well. 

Heading to the bathroom, I switched on the heater and locked the door behind me, hanging my clothes on the rack and running the water to the shower. I walked over to the mirror, staring down my reflection with displeasure. My hair was askew and a mess, large clumps of sleep clung to the corner of my eyes, as well as big dark rings. Last night, I'd not gotten much sleep- nightmares had been haunting me again, leaving me to toss and turn helplessly. 

The shower behind me was still running, and I didn't want to waste any more water, so I quickly stuck my hand under it, to make sure the water was nice and warm, stripped off my clothes and stepped in, letting the warmth envelop me, almost in a sort of hug. I smiled as the water trickled down my body, soothing me.

After just standing there for a while, warming up, I washed my hair and scrubbed at myself, freeing the sleep from my eyes and cleaning up my face a little. When fully satisfied, my hands found the taps and I switched the shower off, disappointed when the warm flow of water stopped. 

I hopped out of the shower, dried off and stepped into my clothes. My reflection looked a little better, but it wasn't quite finished. I blow dried my dark brown hair, then straightened it until it looked at least half decent, before I applied a thin coat of concealer to my face, a little bit of mascara and some lip gloss. I didn't like to go all out on make-up- I preferred to look natural, instead of fake and cheap.  

Half satisfied, I shrugged and wandered out of the bathroom and into the huge house that my parent somehow could afford- yes, I still lived with my parents. It's not that I couldn't move out- I had more than enough money to- I just wasn't ready yet. Once I got a job- if I got this job- I'd find my own place, but for now I was here. My parents were always off on business trips of all sorts and social events, so I had the place to myself most of the time anyway. Today, I'd asked my mother to drive me to this interview, as this was one of the few days that she had off and I was very nervous about it. 

I took a quick detour to my room, grabbing the brief case I'd packed full with my resume and other important notes and references I thought may be handy to assist me throughout the day, before I headed down the stairs and into the living room, where my mum sat propped on the couch, a cup of tea in her hand. She looked up at the sound of my footsteps and gave me a small smile.