Chapter 2

2

     I woke up in a bed, but it wasn’t mine. Blinking hard, I tried to remember what happened after I fell in. Closing my eyes, I could almost feel the rush of wind as I fell while tea cups and jam jars floated around, but those shouldn’t be in a hole at all. Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, I rationalized. Slowly, I sat up and raked my eyes over the room; nothing, but an emotionless, white stared back although the blanket that rested in my lap was a calming green. Gripping it tightly, I pulled it off and examined myself; scrapes and bruises covered my body, but I was relieved to see that I was still in my clothes even if they were slightly torn. Glancing around once more, my eyes glanced at the window beside me; the sun was slowly beginning to rise, shining a light on the forest outside. The trees were twisted in odd shapes while the flowers glittered with dew and gently swayed.

     “What did I do to myself?” I murmured. “And where am I?”

     As I began to think, I overheard a conversation happening downstairs. My curiosity getting the better of me, I carefully moved out of the bed and pressed my ear against the door. “Bloody hell, Jack! You were supposed to bring her back in mint condition,” someone yelled, “but, no, you bring her back in cuts and bruises!”

     “I didn’t mean to do that! She fell in!” the other, Jack, pleaded.

     Jack chased me, I noted.  At least I have a name to tell the police.

     “If you hadn’t scared the living daylights out of her, she wouldn’t have fallen!”

     “I’m sorry.”

     “This is why you never send a rabbit to do a hatter’s work!”

     That’s an odd sort of saying; hopefully they’re not too crazy. Then I quietly made my way towards the window, where the sun was still rising over the horizon. Glancing down, I found out that the two story drop would cause me to land on a flowering hedge. Looking around the room, I found my Doc Martens hidden under the bed although my jacket was nowhere to be seen along with my cell phone. Hurriedly, I tied them up and scurried over to the window. Gulping down fear, I opened the window and perched myself on the windowsill, preparing for the jump.

     Suddenly, the door opened, revealing a silver haired boy. His sudden presence startled me and I lost my grip on the windowsill, now falling down to the dirt ground. Closing my eyes, I covered my head with my arms and waited for impact. Air whistled through my ears then an audible oomph sounded. The feeling of warm arms holding me made me open my eyes. A pair of shocking, crimson orbs stared right back.

     “Are you okay?” the boy inquired.

     I screamed and clawed at his face, causing him to drop me as he clutched his wound. This was my chance. I began to run down the dirt path, but was tackled to the ground moments later. A scream ripped out of my mouth. The red eyed boy held me down, a sympathetic look in his eyes this time.

     “Calm down,” he whispered, pinning my arms to the ground. “We’re not going to harm you.”

     “How can I trust you?” I replied, trying not to sob. “You brought me here!”

     “Because in my current situation, I need you,” he responded. “We need you.”

     “We?” I echoed.

     He nodded and glanced back at the white house. Following his gaze, I noticed the silver haired boy watching us from a window before he walked away. “I’m going to let go now,” the boy began, “and if you try to escape, I’ll do something I’ll regret.”