Parallel (Chapter 11)

Chapter Eleven
The Old Town Theater

Ihead straight to the quad to meet Jaime after my last class. For my unofficial first day of school, it wasn’t as bad as I’d expected. Maybe I was a bit rash in dismissing private school, but other than my unfortunate encounters with Jenny, it was just like attending any other school—except for maybe cleaner bathrooms.

“So, what do you want to do?” Jaime swings her purse like a pendulum, obviously bored.

“What do you mean? Isn’t your mom picking you up after school?”

Jaime rolls her eyes. “Nope. On the way over this morning she said I had to find a ride back home. I guess her parental responsibilities only go so far.”

“I don’t know. I thought maybe I’d go straight home and see if I could help Aunt Maggie around the house.”

“You can do that any ol’ time. Let’s go to Old Town and check out the scene.”

Apparently, she’s forgetting the part about being grounded and how her mom busted her the day before for her failure to come home on time.

“What about being grounded?” I don’t want her to get in trouble again. I’d hate to see her grounded indefinitely.

“Consider my restriction off. The folks are going out tonight.” Jaime’s sly smile spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e. “No doubt that’s the reason why mom ditched me this afternoon. She’s probably at home as we speak getting all dolled up.”

This isn’t exactly how I planned to spend the afternoon, but I don’t have any other ideas. “I guess we can go for awhile. I’ll call Aunt Maggie and see if she can pick us up later.” I grabbed my cell phone in such a hurry this morning; I didn’t have time to check my contact list. But I have a hunch that I’ll find my aunt’s number programmed, so I’ll just call when we’re ready to be picked up.

“Great.”

As we walk around Old Town, stopping occasionally to window shop and people watch, I remember Cooper explaining to me that the differences between worlds would be subtle. He wasn’t far off in his statement. King Street is still busting with foot traffic and Battle Grounds is still in business, just waiting for patrons to sample their savory drink concoctions. After getting our drink orders, we find an empty table outside.

Over cappuccinos, Jaime begins to reminisce over the fun times we’ve shared. Slipping an anecdote here and there, sprinkling the conversation with one liners and quotes—things I had said—it’s as if she instinctively knows I need to hear this information, it’s like listening to a montage of my life. Hearing her speak so fondly of our friendship makes me feel sad in a way. Sad that I don’t share the same memories, sad that the girl Jaime recalls never really existed until now, and most of all, sad that my life in this reality has the kind of relationships that I’ve only ever dreamed about. But all these memories only exist because I came back. They aren’t really real—I have to remember that.

I don’t want to rehash the good times anymore, so I change the subject. The topic is beginning to spoil the pleasant afternoon Jaime tried to create. There are so many things I want to talk to her about, but I’m sure my questions will only make her think I’ve gone nuts. Although I have my suspicions that she already thinks I’m nutty. So I stick to a subject that I know Jaime will appreciate—boys.

“So, what do you think about Alex?”

“You know, I’d rather talk about the hunky guy that keeps picking you up. Where is he now? You should call him and have him meet us.”