Chapter Twelve: Time's Up

~Breccan~

It was later that night and there weren't a lot of people left in the hall. Almost all of the older people had gone home and all the younger kids had gone, of course, at sunset. So, now, it was just the teenagers and adults in their early twenties left. I was sitting at our table, watching some people dance. Around me sat Jinx, Hunter, and Frew. Wester had gone off about a half an hour ago to get our weapons. According to him, we would attack at twilight. It was only a matter of time before all these people in front of me, having such a good time, would be suffering.

Honestly, I was having a tough time getting myself to accept that I was going to be killing people tonight. It was then that I decided I would just knock them out, I wouldn't actually kill them. It wasn't right to kill people and, even if I was trying to earn the trust of The Speed, I wouldn't kill for them.

I rubbed my eyes and drank some more water. I had successfully kept Sera out of my head and hadn't thought about her since the dance we shared. When I had told Frew about it, he hadn't believed me so I had let it go. I was too anxious to fight with him right now.

"Hey, calm down," he patted my shoulder. "It won't be that bad. Besides, master thinks that they will surrender at the first sight of blood." I just sighed and watched as Wester walked inside. He wasn't carrying anything so maybe they had decided to cancel their plans. Wester strolled over to us casually and when he reached us he pushed aside his long brown coat. It revealed a dangerous arsenal of wickedly sharp knives and swords. He handed them to us inconspicuously. When he handed my sword to me he whispered in my ear.

"I pulled a few strings and got you your actual sword," he straightened up and smiled. I put the sword in my sheath and kept it so it was hidden under the tablecloth.

"Thanks, and how much longer?" I asked.

Wester shrugged, "They said when you see fire or hear screams to attack, so we just have to wait for a little while." He pulled something out of his pocket, "Oh, and they told me to give these to you." He handed them out. One to each of us.

"What are they?" asked Frew.

"They're masks, so no one will know it's you," he said.

Jinx held his up, "Mine ripped."

Wester rolled his eyes and threw him another one, "God, Jinx, maybe you shouldn't be here tonight. We don't want anything going wrong."

Jinx looked offended but he knew it was true, "I won't make anything go wrong."

"Be sure of it," Wester walked over to the window and gazed out of it.

A few moments later Sera came up to me. Quentin was hanging back a little ways back. "Hey, um... Breccan, right?"

A smile spilled over my lips, "Yeah, that's it."

She didn't smile back, "I just needed to ask what you meant by don't be like my parents."

I glanced at the guys around me, "I just meant don't do anything stupid and get yourself killed."

"Oh, well, I don't really plan to," she scratched her head. "Well, we're heading home so I guess I'll see you next year."

I started to say something but an ear-splitting scream rang through the hall. Sera's eyes dilated and she ran to the window. She was looking around outside and saw that there were people running through the streets with weapons and others were setting fire.

"What the hell?" she turned and looked at me. I was pulling the mask over my face and she started to connect the dots. "Are you in on this?"

I pushed the mask up over my nose, "Sorry Sera." I turned to the door and Tristen burst inside with his men.

"Let's go! Everybody get on the ground!" he shouted. There were loud screams and most everybody fell to the floor. I saw a few Panthers stay standing but Tristen and his men shot them with arrows. I flinched as he shouted again, "Everyone stay on the ground and you will most likely live." At this point everyone was on the ground. I glanced over and saw Quentin leaning against the wall with the windows.

Tristen came over, "Is everyone in here secure? No one left did they?"

I shook my head, "Everyone is here..." I trailed off because someone was missing. I whipped my head to the window and saw that it wasn't quite shut. I looked back at Quentin who was now smirking.

Tristen was watching this all with laser eyes. "Who got out?" his voice was deadly calm. I lunged at Quentin and picked him up by the neck of his shirt.

"You helped her get out!" I shouted at him.

He said nothing and just kept grinning so Tristen prompted again, "Who got out?"

I threw Quentin back against the wall, "Sera got out."

Tristen obviously wasn't aware, "Who is Sera?"

Quentin started to say something but I cut him off, "The girl that came in late, with the blonde hair." Tristen's eyes dulled a little.

"Well if it's only her then it's not that big of a deal," he shrugged.

"Oh, it's a big deal," Quentin piped up. "Sera is one of our best fighters and she will do anything to protect her little brother." Quentin's eyes were gleaming, "She is going to tear you stupid Speed into pieces."

I punched him in the jaw and he fell over. He wouldn't be talking for a little while now. However, the damage was done. I looked at Tristen and saw the anger in his eyes. He was livid.

"Find her and bring her back," he seethed.

"Ah.. yes sir," I nodded and ran out of the hall.