Chapter 13: That Little Voice in Your Head Isn't Friendly

You guys should really tell me if anyone seems out of character. I have trouble writing for Fairy Tail sometimes, and for Loke especially, since he's never had a really serious relationship in the series. I don't really count Lucy, because that's realllly one-sided. But seriously, tell me if he sounds like a cheesy loser, and I'll do my best to make him the smexy guy we all know he is~!

Loke's POV

Agony ripped through me as, yet again, the hefty axe Taurus swung at me sent me flying into a shopfront's door, which splintered and eventually gave under my weight, toppling me to the dusty floor with a thud

As you can see, I'd chosen Taurus out of her two options. From our past experience in the demon's den, I knew he hated me with a distinct passion, but he was also the least likely to recognize me if I managed to keep my hood up. Taurus was known for brawn, not brains.

There was also another reason I'd told her to summon the beefy bovine. Aquarius loathed Winter. Our past conversations had told me enough to understand that, because Winter had been so hell-bent on pulling her attention from Lucy, the water-bearing Spirit couldn't stand her. I'd had no doubt that if Aquarius had been called out, she would have turned on Winter instead of focusing her intention on me like the Celestial Spirit mage wished.

Still, I was beginning to wish that she'd had a less destructive Spirit with her.

"Who do yooooooouuuuu think you are?" Taurus taunted, twirling his axe around in stout fingers. "I'd never let someone hurt Miss Winter's perfect body!"

Raising my head (and ignoring the miserable moans currently bubbling at my lips) I spied Winter balling her hands into fists, shooting Taurus an unimpressed glare. Her eye was twitching quite spectacularly. So she hadn't really meant what'd she said earlier: She still wasn't able to stand Taurus' presence for extended periods of time. Meaning she had be forced into the dialogue.

And that meant I'd been right all along. This wasn't Winter.

I could bring her back. 

"Yo, Winter!" My voice was more a croak than a greeting, but it caught her attention nonetheless. I stumbled to my knees, then rose to my feet, all the while keeping my gaze locked with hers. She cocked her head, eyes glimmering with interest. This was all a game to her; she'd take any chance she could to find amusement in it. While it pained me to think that all of this was just a source of entertainment for it, if it meant she'd refrain from having Taurus rend my head from my shoulders, I'd take it. "You seem a little off today," I went on, taking a cautious step forward.

Taurus snorted contemptuously, but otherwise didn't react.

Winter's brow rose in question.

"Don't you remember?" I asked, allowing a charming smile to flicker to life across my lips, despite the fact that I felt more inclined to grimace than anything else at this point. "I promised to become your knight in shining armor. Do you think I'd let some petty game ruin our promise?"

Her lips parted, as though she wanted to release some bout of mocking laughter, but no sound left her. Her eyes dimmed in thought, her hand moving to cover her mouth. Something snaked through her gaze.

A memory.

(Flashback - because I apparently can't make a story without them)