Chapter 3

*TW:shooting, PTSD flashbacks, war zone*

"I really hate that you're here. It's too dangerous."

I glared over at Steve. "You think I'm happy ya'll are here too? But this is our job. We suck it up, stay alert, and finish the mission."

He peered out the window, keeping an eye on the surroundings. "I was actually thinking about that." He slid onto the floor resting his head on the wall. "When we get back, we should retire."

I was looking through my scope when he said this, tearing my attention away from the target area. "Retire? I'm 21 years old. Why would I want to retire?"

"You've been talking about law school. I think that would be better for you."

"Defense attorney. I'll still be dealing with crazies."

"It'll still be safer and you know it. We can live a normal life. Have a farm."

"We live in Los Angeles."

"Okay... we'll just live in a big house then. You can go to law school. I'll go be a gym teacher or something. We can have kids."

"Holy shit, Steve. If I'm gonna go to law school, I can't have kids before i'm done. It'll be too much. Where is all this coming from?"

Steven banged his head against the wall and clasped his hands. "You've been different lately. Ever since that mission you had with Lang."

"Scott Lang? You think something happened between us, don't you?"

"Not necessarily between you two, but I think something happened. You've just been distant. And I think this job is just too much."

"Maybe it's too much for you, but I can handle my-"

"Get down!" Steve yelled. Before I could react, gunshots rang out. Bullets started flying by us. I ducked down and got my rifle ready. Once I figured out how I could sit up enough, I looked through the scope to find the location of whoever was shooting us.

"VALENTINO?! We're taking fire! What the hell are you doing?"

Sam Wilson's voice rang through the radio. Shit. I was supposed to be keeping an eye on the target area. That's where that unit was going. I was supposed to be their cover. I adjusted my rifle until I had eyes on the target. They were in a humvee trying to get to the cave they were heading for. I started shooting in the direction the bullet spray was coming from. The enemy shooting stopped.

"Wilson. What's going on down there?" Steve spoke into his radio.

"I don't know. The shooting stopped. I don't see anyone. We should be able to make it to the cave now. Keep your eyes peeled."

I reached down and popped another magazine in before setting my sight up. "Don't think we're done talking about this." I spat at Steve, glancing at him briefly.

"Charlie!" He pointed towards the target about the time an explosion happened. They shot a rocket at the humvee. It blew up and flipped over.

"SAM!" Without thinking, I sat up, losing my cover. The enemy didn't hesitate. A bullet pierced through my chest. At first I didn't feel the pain. I just heard Steve yelling my name. I had to know if Sam was alright. If the others were alright. Suddenly the edges of my vision blurred and started going black. The pain started radiating. I looked down and saw blood pooling on my shirt. I fell back onto the ground. Steve ran over and put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.

"Charlie, stay with me. It's okay. Just stay with me."

I heard more gunfire. Who were they shooting at now?!

"Charlie."

I looked up at Steve and he was still trying to get my attention. Why was I shaking all of a sudden?

"CHARLIE."

Why is he whispering? They know we're here.

"CHARLESTON."

I sat up quickly, realizing Steve was trying to shake me awake. I still heard gunfire and looked around frantically.

"What's going on?"

He put a finger to his mouth in order to silence me. I looked at his hands and his pistol had taken residence, ready to fire when necessary. This gunfire was not in my dream. People were outside shooting. I looked at the clock on my desk. 4am.

"Where is everyone else?" I whispered, shooting out of bed and reaching for my sweater. I was wearing a tank top to sleep in which means you can see the scar from the bullet. Steve caught sight of it and stared for a second, despair in his eyes, before turning his head.

"They're in Ace's office. We gotta go. Come on."

Being a PI and ex detective, Ace is always prepared for situations like this. Not that the rest of us aren't. I mean we're all used to dealing with criminals. But we all agreed hers would be the "safe room" if ever the situation arose. I threw my sweater on and grabbed the gun out of my desk drawer. Steve eyed me, obviously not realizing I keep a gun with me. We slowly opened my office door and Steve peered around the frame, cautiously looking around the hallway. He glanced back and me and motioned his head, indicating it was safe to follow. More gunfire rang out in the streets. Flashbacks started flooding my mind again of the day I was shot. I hadn't thought about it in years. But this is also the first time I've been around Steve in a long time. Add a high stress situation and gunfire, and flashbacks only make sense. I tried to push it out of my head, focusing on Steve in front of me, quietly stalking around the hall towards Ace's office. I made my way slowly and cautiously to Ace's office myself. The flashbacks were coming in stronger. I stumbled through the door, Bruce closing it behind me, and started hyperventilating.

"Charlie? Are you okay?" Syd knelt down in front of me. I pushed myself off the wall and laid on the floor, whispering my mantra over and over and trying to control my breathing.

"What's wrong with her?" Peter asked.

"She's having flashbacks." Ace spat out, running over and grasping my hand that was digging into my gunshot scar. She knew that's what I did when I had flashbacks. I don't know why I did it. But I always dug at it enough to make it bleed. She stopped me before that happened.

"I'm fine." My voice was clipped as I gently pulled away from her and stood up.

"What the hell was that about?" Steve questioned. "Flashbacks of what?"

I cut my eyes at him. "You know what. Now, what are we going to do about those people shooting outside?"

"Nothing."Clint replied. "As long as they aren't trying to get in, there is no point in getting involved."

"People could be dying out there." BB whined out.

Bucky rubbed her arms. "Maybe, but we can't help them. We just need to focus on keeping ourselves alive."

Ace got on the computer and accessed the security system, turning off all the lights and activating the night vision on the cameras. So far we saw no one trying to get in the building, but we all agreed we would stay in her office until morning. After what felt like hours, the shooting stopped. Clint and Steve quickly searched the building for any intruders before returning and giving us the all clear. No one moved though. I don't know if it was fear or sadness, but I could tell no one wanted to be away from the group.

"Well, if ya'll aren't leaving, we better get cozy I guess." Ace laughed, settling under the covers of her pull out and resting her head on the pillow. And cozy we got. We all managed to snuggle up with each other somehow, except Steve, who sat in the corner 'keeping watch'. When he said this I assumed he meant in case anyone came in, but for as long as I was awake, he never took his eyes of me. I couldn't read his expression. I used to be so good at it. But a lot of time has passed since we saw each other last. Things change. My eyes slowly closed and I drifted off to sleep, pushing the thoughts of the past out of my head.