Chapter 2

~ Chapter 2 ~

The village of Washington was so quiet that it seemed hard to believe something so dramatic would happen here. After checking in at the hotel, the inspector headed straight to the police station. There the chief inspector briefed him on the mystery, but it was all old news. He even went on to mention the local stories about the mad man's evil spirit, like the one that William Field had already heard. “I wouldn't say these kinds of things normally, but too many people have died by falling there. It's unnatural. People are getting scared," the chief inspector warned.

Afterwards Inspector Field went straight to the scene of the incident, which seemed to be located right in the middle of the woods. He had to admit that the area did feel slightly out of place, which made him feel rather nervous. This annoyed William, he always thought of himself as a rational human being. Completely indifferent to supernatural stories. He dismissed the thought, and began to examine the area. As far as he could tell the victim had fallen off the cliff, possibly without realising it was there. The most reasonable explanation seemed to be suicide, so Field asked if this was possible. “Maybe,” he was told, but no cause had been found yet. Arthur Hill seemed to have had a happy life with no reason why he would want it to end. Nevertheless Field was sure that this was it.