part xvii

written by maddie, beta read by cat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speed forward two days. Today is the day of the concert. 

For once, both Alek and Deryn are in sync, jumping around so much that Mr. Volger is popping a few aspirin every so often. Today is the day, today is the day.

Mr. Klopp has taken Deryn’s advice and sits in front of the hotel in a smaller car when the time comes to leave. It’s inconspicuous and Alek finds it strange; it’s always been flashy cars for him.

“Hello, all,” says the man pleasantly from the front seat. “Is it concert time already?”

“Yes, already.” Mr. Volger massages his temples. “Let this be over with.”

Alek pays him no attention, letting Deryn get in before him and stepping back as Bovril bounds into the backseat eagerly. 

“Bovril!” they say in unison, though Alek’s cry is far from enthusiastic. The dog barks and clambers onto Deryn’s lap, pawing at her clothes. She chuckles as she pushes his head away, tongue lolling.

“Do you really think it is wise to take that thing along?” Mr. Volger says in disgust, voicing Alek’s thoughts. 

Deryn frowns. “Why not?” she says. “Bovril isn’t going to be any trouble, are you, beastie?” This last bit is said in a baby voice. Bovril pants happily. “Please, Alek?”

He looks at her, eyes begging for him to say yes and knows he isn’t going to be able to say otherwise. “I suppose,” concedes Alek, ruffling the dog’s fur. “Mr. Volger?”

Mr. Volger mutters his consent, cursing the mind of his foolish charge who follows his heart rather than his head.