Part I - Chapter 13 - Betrayal

What has just happened?!  Iya could feel an invisible chain connecting her and Silence, and emotions roiled freely between them.  Iya fought for a moment to separate herself mentally.  She sank to the ground, ignoring the complaints of her body, and touched Silence’s shoulder.

“What have you done?” she signed frantically.

“I have pledged my life to you.”

Why?!  You are so ‘rock!’  I did not ask this of you!”

Silence reached out and touched the bruising at her neck.

“I could never bear to hurt you again, little sister.  My vow is to protect you—even from myself.”  Tears streamed down Iya’s cheeks and she pressed Silence’s hand to her face.

“Well,” Jakim said, “Is that not endearing?  The men who beat their women by night always beg forgiveness by day.” 

Silence jumped to his feet at the sound of Jakim’s voice, and his fists clenched in anger when he saw Jakim reclining in the bed with victorious smirk on his face.  Through the invisible link, Iya could feel the rage within Silence.  Somehow she knew Silence would kill Jakim if she did not intervene.  Iya reached out and touched Silence’s hand.

“Calm down,” she signed.  “He did not wrong me.  He dressed my wounds, nothing more.” 

At the mention of her injuries, the anger bled out of Silence.  He helped her to her feet. 

“Thank you,” Silence said through gritted teeth.  “For taking care of her.”

“It was Jakim’s pleasure,” Jakim said with a grin, and rose from the bed.  He swaggered over to table and poured himself a glass of wine.   “Although Jakim does not see what the fuss is about, he is very pleased D’Vitri has taken this vow.” Iya rolled her eyes and Silence ignored him as he exited the pavilion.

Tvetja padded up to Silence and sniffed him.  He reached down cautiously and after a moment, the cub rubbed her head against his hand. 

“Well, I am glad you forgive me,” he said and turned to Iya.  “Will you?  Can you ever forgive me for what I have done?” 

With a sad smile, Iya nodded.  She did not know how to feel about his oath.  A part of her was sad, hurt, and embarrassed.  In the back of her mind, Iya had always imagined that eventually she and Silence would be as man and wife, and that they would live together in her woods. 

What a ‘rock’ and childish notion, she thought.  Who would want to marry a blue abomination such as myself?  What a fool—a ‘rock’—I am!  Did I really think anyone would want to be with me in that way?  ‘Rock!’  ‘Rock!’ ‘Rock!’  What Iya signed was:  “Of course I forgive you, but please, explain this to me.”

Silence ushered Iya to the pillows and sent a serving boy for food. 

“There is much I have kept from you, little sister, and for that I am ashamed,” he said as he brought her a glass of water.  Iya motioned for him to continue.

“The Koryphii are the gifted of Dyrvn.  Dyrvish children are tested and trained to determine not only physical strength, but strength of character.  Those who qualify are taken to the Sanctum—the innermost stronghold of Eigengrau—to receive the knowledge to become Koryphii.  The training is rigorous—brutally so—and designed to purge impurities of mind and body.  Few of the students are capable of enduring the first pass, let alone the second and third.

“Those who succeed are taught what I have taught you—to see the patterns within the world around them, and to manipulate said patterns.  Once a student has reached his or her full potential, an oath such as the one I have made to you is sworn to the people of Dyrvn.”

Silence paused and waves of shame and regret washed over Iya through the intangible tether they now shared.