Chapter 3

Four moons had passed since the trip to the woods, and nothing had changed for Moonkit. Owlkit was still annoying as ever and Silverwhisker was still protective. The only thing that had really changed was that Mistypaw had received her full medicine cat name of Mistyfall, and Foxeye and Honeyfall had become mates.

Moonkit dug her claws into the wall of the den. A young warrior couldn't be trapped inside. No, if she were to be leader, she had to get out there and explore!

"Silverwhisker, can I please go out?" she begged.

Silverwhisker did the familiar shake of her head. "No, Moonkit," she said. "It's too dangerous."

Moonkit sighed, turning to find Owlkit playing with Cloverkit. They had been constant playmates for two moons now, and Moonkit was already aware that Owlkit liked Cloverkit.

As for Moonkit, she hadn't been interested in any mates. A leader couldn't have a mate or kits anyway. Yet, she still felt lonely.

When her mother had her back turned, Moonkit slid out of the den, racing into camp.

"Finally!" she exclaimed, glad to be free from the nursery. Slowly, she crept towards the forest, making sure no other cat was watching her. As she slipped past, the forest was the only thing ahead of her, and she carefully walked in.

Moonkit padded through the woods, the red and orange leaves slowly drifting down. She smiled, glad to have the forest air in her lungs again.

"HI AGAIN!' a voice came.

Moonkit jumped, turning to find the young fox kit behind her. She froze, then recognized the kit. "You-you were the one who saved me and Owlkit that day."

The kit nodded, and Moonkit realized how much the kit towered over her.

"My name is Chase," the fox kit spoke. "Unlike my family, I don't want to kill cats. My dad says cats get in the way of our prey and must be killed, but I really don't know what's so bad about them," she explained.

 "I'm Moonkit--" Moonkit was about to say more, only to be cut off by Chase.

"Moonkit? What a strange name!" she exclaimed.

"I live in FoxClan," Moonkit explained. We all have names like that. My brother's name is Owlkit, and my mother's name is Silverwhisker."

Chase tilted her head, then spoke. "What about your father?"

Moonkit looked down sadly. "He left us."

"I'm sorry," Chase told her.

Moonkit looked up, confused. "If you're a fox, how can you speak fluent cat?"

Chase laughed at Moonkit. "I'm surprised you didn't ask earlier! I met an old fox who trained me in the cat language. He died, but I've been practicing. I've been trying to get cats and foxes to make amends so they no longer battle."

"Wow," Moonkit exclaimed. "So you're like a leader! I want to be leader of my clan, but it's not like I'll ever get to try..."

"Moonkit you can always be leader," Chase said with a warm smile.

Moonkit was about to speak, but she was cut off by a yowl.

"MOONKIT, DON'T MOVE!" Immediately, Moonkit recognized the voice. It was her mother, Silverwhisker.

Moonkit turned, stepping in front of her mother. "STOP!" she commanded.

Silverwhisker looked shocked. "THAT FOX WAS ABOUT TO KILL YOU! Not to mention you left camp," she snarled. "I am very disappointed in you, Moonkit," she hissed.

Moonkit growled at her mother. "You're nothing like a mother! You never let me go anywhere! You're always so protective! You care about Owlkit more than you care about me. I-I HATE YOU!" she spat.

Silverwhisker gasped, and immediately Moonkit noticed hurt in her eyes.

"Well, I'm going to, uh, go," Chase said, leaping back into the bushes.

Moonkit looked into her mother's blue eyes then ran off, heading back to FoxClan camp. As she raced towards camp, she flung herself into the nursery, sitting near the corner of the den. Finally, the truth was out.