IX

The "Shredder" so he was called, stumbled around a neighborhood on the outskirts of town. He danced, pranced, skipped and sang, making himself feel happy about the next few hours. He would get his hands on that little girl whose mother had tasted so delightful.

He stopped in front of a large house and slowly, casual but cautious, walked into the backyard. He looked around at the unfenced, maybe 3 or four acres, of dark green. He walked a bit and noticed a greenhouse. He walked inside and found that it was too warm for his liking and as he was walking out, a boy walked in. The boy was only around 7 years old and was in tiger-striped pajama's. 

"Why are you in our greenhouse?" The boy asked sleepily. He stared at the at the man with curiosity in his large brown eyes. The man stared back and smiled.

"Well, I didn't know it was your greenhouse. How did you know I came in here anyway?" He tried to be nice to the kid and give him a chance.

"I saw you through my bedroom window and I sneaked out here to see who you are." 

The man sighed and kneeled down to the boy's eye level, which was quite impressive considering his long legs. "Why don't you show me the best hiding spot in the greenhouse? I'm sure you know where that is. You do look like you cause a lot of trouble for those parents of yours." The boy nodded and took the man's hand a led him to the center, where tomatoes were taller than him and an apple tree stood. 

"This is for sure the best place.The toes grow super tall here and the aple's tree gives for sure protection from my mom seeing me in here." He turned around and smiled at the man. But when he looked into his eyes, he saw something he didn't want to see. The man was smiling and his face was contorted in a way that reminded the boy of a horror story. 

The boy screamed louder than he thought was possible and the man quickly took his hand and chopped at the boy's neck, knocking him unconscious. He picked the boy up and smiled at him. "Oh, if only you hadn't walked in here. After all, curiosity killed the cat my boy, and in this case, you were the cat." And then the man took his hand and dug his nails into the child's throat and sliced down towards the collar bone. Blood ran from the wound fast and dark. The man heard a gasp and turned around, hands already drenched in blood.

Behind the man, hiding in a tall plant, stood Mary, who was crying.