Chapter 5

Ruth followed the driver into GlobalCore’s imposing, polished brass revolving door. As she did so, she took one last peek at the mysteriously desolate street. It was like a movie set designed to look like an inner city thoroughfare that had been abandoned by its cast. It was eerie. 

As they passed through the grand entrance, Ruth had to stop to take in the brilliance of what was on the other side.  The foyer’s Italian white marble floor seemed to stretch on forever. Fresh long-stemmed flowers in huge oriental vases were dotted at even points around the edges of the vast space. Behind each vase, tall arched windows poured warm light through their brass framed, frosted cream glass.

Completely contrary to the street outside, the inside of the building was crawling with people. Corporate suits walked with purpose between the elevators at the far end of the foyer. Gathered groups stood discussing the contents of their black compendiums, their appropriately hushed voices echoing off the lofty ornate ceiling and art covered walls. A large reception desk stretched in a sweeping arc in the centre of the bustle. The word GlobalCore, spelt out in large brass letters, adorned its facade.

Ruth suddenly realised that her mouth was hanging agape and that the driver had continued on without her. She trotted to catch up with him as he approached the reception desk thirty paces ahead.

“Ms Wroth,” the driver declared to the perky red-headed receptionist as Ruth approached.

“One moment please,” she responded robotically. She tapped furiously at her computer keys with her one inch pink gloss nails.

“You’ll need to sign in as a visitor today, Ms Wroth.” The receptionist placed several forms in front of Ruth.

“Please sign here, and read and initial the emergency procedure here, and here–”

Ruth signed and initialled where the receptionist had indicated.

“–and also here”

Ruth obliged.

“And now just sign this one here.”

Ruth’s eyes flicked up to meet the receptionist’s. She was looking for any signs of sarcasm but she saw nothing but innocent enthusiasm so she signed at the bottom of the form.

“Now please enter the time and date here and sign here so I can issue your visitors badge.”

Ruth signed the final form with a stifled sigh.

“Okay,” said the receptionist, “so here is your badge. Take elevator D to level sixty and a Ms Laura Whinheart will meet you there.”

Ruth took the badge and fastened it to her belt.

“Did you say level sixty?” 

This has got to be the tallest building in the city.

“Yes, sixty through elevator D.” The receptionist smiled brightly through her shimmering pink lipstick and then went back to tapping at her keyboard. Ruth turned to reluctantly thank the driver, but he had vanished.

He must have lumbered off while I was signing my life away.

The clip-clop of Ruth’s heels mingled with the busy sounds of the foyer as she hurried towards the elevators. A feeling of excitement was growing in the pit of her stomach. GlobalCore was obviously doing very well and by the look of the well-dressed, poised people passing by, they were hiring young conscientious achievers like herself.

Ruth reached the elevators and pressed the call button for elevator D. She tried slyly to study the handful of staff who were also waiting in the area. She hoped to overhear some conversation that might better prepare for her interview, but the few conversations that surrounded her were just out of earshot.