Chapter 17: Discovery

After Luc left, I headed out too. I hated being in the shop on my own. Honestly, I hated being anywhere on my own, and keeping amongst the bustling people as I did errands—including a second successful attempt at picking up my paycheque—helped eased my mind. It was hard to feel alone in a crowd.

When I got back, I noticed that the drop covers had been pulled back from the furniture, folded up, and placed neatly in a corner. That could only mean one thing: Luc had come back.

"Luc?" I called, listening for any sound of him. The place was still and quiet, like I was the only person there.

Maybe he's just reading, I thought to myself as I strode through the room. Or having a nap.

On my way to the stairs, I peeked into the storage room to see if he was there.

I hated the back room. It was dank, and perpetually dark, windowless, lit only by a single weak light that dangled from the ceiling. It was more hall than a room, really. The walls were bare brick except for a single grimy sink shoved to one side... And the new pile of boxes in the corner opposite.

Where had those come from? I wondered. Curiosity got the better of me, and I stepped closer to get a better look—

The ceiling above me gave a creak.

A footstep?

I froze in place, remembering Luc; my gaze travelled upwards and I listened hard, waiting for more... I couldn't be sure. We hadn't lived here long enough for me to tell the difference between foot steps and the settling of an old building.

No other sound came. Settling it was, then.

Continuing on, I left the mystery of the boxes where they were and headed up the stairs. As I reached the upper landing, I called out again, "Luc?"

The door was ajar again. I pulled it open.

"Luc, are you here?"

There was no response.

I dropped my shopping on the counter and walked the length of the small room.mI glanced in the bedroom, and then the bathroom. No one was there.

It did look like someone had been here though. The bed was rumpled, like someone had sat on it, and there were a few books pulled out of the shelves and piled on the kitchen counter. There was even a glass next to them. I picked it up; it was still cold. As I put it down again, I noticed a sticky note nearby.

There was a message scribbled in Luc's hand.

Came back for a moment, but you were gone. Sorry to have missed you. I'll be back soon.

I stared at the sharp loops of his scrawl. Luc had come back. He had come back and I... I had fucking missed him. The note crumpled in my first. I cursed under my breath, then threw the little ball at the wall. It didn't even make a sound when it hit, just bounced off and rolled away.

I rubbed at my cheeks, banishing a few rogue tears. All I wanted was to stand still for a minute, one goddamn minute, and just talk. Talk honestly, without all these walls. Like we had before, when we were all we had to rely on... I was so sick of this dance we were doing, this bobbing and weaving around each other. Well, I wasn't going to dance anymore.

For a half second I wondered if he had sent me a text, before realizing I wouldn't be able to read it, thanks to my busted phone. Though... I mulled. I do have money now, I could just go and buy a new one—

My thoughts were interrupted by a strange pealing tone. It echoed through the apartment, metallic yet muffled. It was dull and droning, almost like an alarm. Did this place have an alarm system? I wondered. If it did, Luc had never mentioned anything about it. But then again there was a lot Luc never mentioned...