Chapter 3

~ State of Massachusetts ~

        As the jet touched down onto the landing strip, Gwen admired the architecture of Murphy Mansion. As she walked into the mansion, Gwen also realized how efficient it was. Every room was easily connected to the others via Port, and each room had a small bathroom and kitchenette. She hurried through the building to the door marked “D.K. Murphy” and placed her thumb on the ID lock. She was assuming that Murphy had put her fingerprint in the system. She was, as usual, correct. Gwen listened to the air hiss as it was released from the door. The lock on the other side clicked to allow the door to open.

        The air in the room was a little too cool for Gwen’s taste, but it didn’t bother her much. She wouldn’t be there long. She moved carefully toward the cabinets, avoiding stepping on the squares of carpet that clearly had traps below them. Making her way to the third cabinet, she opened the second drawer and retrieved the envelope labeled “Emilia Sanchez”. In it was a social security card, a driver’s license, a passport, the keys to a Ford, and an address. She took the key from the envelope and went outside to find the truck. She took off in it to the place she once called home.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Aunt Gloria was waiting with a pair of coveralls, a bottle of hair dye, and colored contacts when Gwen pulled up to the small red house that she visited twice each month. Gwen was embraced, and then herded through the front door by her Aunt. When they reached Gloria’s office, Gloria closed the door and walked straight to the full length mirror in the back of the room and lifted it off the wall.

        Behind the mirror was a keypad. Gloria tapped in the code and the wall slid open, revealing the disguise room. But as Gloria stepped into the room, Gwen hesitated. Her Aunt hadn’t spoken a word to her since she arrived. Aunt Gloria was usually full of news and smiles, but the only emotion she had showed that day was when she embraced Gwen.

        “Aunt Gloria?” Gwen spoke with concern, “Is everything okay?” Gwen’s Aunt turned toward her with tears in her eyes. She sighed. “Gwen, this Assignment is different. I can’t say much more than that, but I need you to promise me that you will do everything you can to come home.” Gwen searched her Aunt’s face, trying to find some explanation. Receiving none, she finally said, “I promise.” Gwen sat in the chair in front of the mirrored walls, allowing herself to watch as her Aunt changed her into a new person.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        An hour and a half later, Gwen stood looking in the mirror. Her blonde hair had been dyed a dark brown, and her dark blue eyes – usually almost purple – were covered with brown contacts. Her ivory skin was sprayed to a deep tan, and her sleek hooded blouse and pants were replaced with denim overalls. She looked, in a word, young. As she read over the information in her legend’s folder, she learned why.

        Her legend was a 16 year old Hispanic girl from Cancun, Mexico, though born in Sacramento, California, California. Name: Emilia Sanchez. Primary language: Spanish. Date of Birth: September 12. Relations: No living relatives, but lives with boyfriend Tomas Garcia in Sacramento, California, California. Hobbies: Babysitting.

        This legend was very different than what Gwen usually received. It had the same subjects of information, but never before was her cover younger than her. Also, most of her covers required skintight clothing. For that matter, most required less clothing. She had never bred, of course. She never had to go that far to get what she needed. Legally, she could if she wanted; her status was high enough. But she was disgusted by the thought of a belly swollen with child, so she took a pill to stop any lust she might have. At this thought, she realized she had forgotten the pills in her rush to the HQ. Oh well, she’d get some in California.

        When Gwen thought of California, she remembered her purpose. She drew her breath to speak. “Thank you, Aunt Gloria, it’s perfect. But I have to go now.” She kissed her Aunt on the cheek. “Hasta luego, Emilia,” Gloria said, reminding Gwen that she was in disguise. “Te amo, Tia,” Gwen sighed and shut the door behind her. She strode to her truck and then drove to the nearest airport.