Chapter 1

I tried not to cry as we drove up a random dirt road. We'd driven hundreds of miles away by now. I have nothing to do but think about that, and what Camp Diablo's all about.

Officer Peters was as silent as a ghost and didn't talk much. I could tell he was the silent but brutal type just by looking at his eyes.  But my curiosity couldn't be discouraged. Little was known about Camp Diablo after all, as those who came out of the place were practically silent about the practices used there.

"So what's this camp about?" I asked.

He glanced at me silently, his mouth twisted unpleasantly. I thought he wasn't going to respond, but at last, after a full two minutes, he spoke. "Camp Diablo trains kids from the age of four to twenty to serve ambassador Samial against the revolting armies that have grouped in the far west," He said, glancing at me with a chilling expression before focussing on the road again. "Back in 1986 in the Soviet Union there was a chemical reaction in Ukraine--"

I suddenly knew what he was talking about.

"Are you talking about Chernobyl now?" I interrupted. "Yeah, we learnt all about that in class."

He glanced at me sharply, his lips drawn taut over his teeth. "As I was saying, the reactor core number four was shut down on a one-time maintenance check, but that was against safety regulations --"

I nodded and cut him off, knowing that I was pissing him off, but uncaring. If he was going to take me away from my family, then he's signing himself up for a pain in the arse. "I know about this, I learnt it all in school, so we can just skip the history lecture so you can get to the good stuff...?" I trailed off into silence at seeing the almost murderous look on his face.

Perhaps I should wait until I know him better to annoy him, just in case he hits girls.

He returned to driving properly after a minute of glaring. "Again, as I was saying," He shot me a dark look at that. "The reactor core held radioactive matter that killed two people on it's explosion. Since then the grounds have been extremely radioactive."

I frowned deeply. I was confused as all hell and he wasn't helping; what did this have to do with the Camp? "What does this have to do with the camp?" I asked.

"There were people who were contaminated. Those people survived," He said stiffly.

I motioned him on with a wave of my hand, though I stopped almost immediately at the look shot my way.

"The gene you have is a descendant of the radioactive poisoning that those people have suffered, for years we've been injecting the gene into carefully selected pregnant females. One hundred percent of the babies born have the gene," He said.

"But not Michael."

"No, not Michael." He agreed.

"Me?" I whispered, my eyes widening in shock. "I have the gene?"

He glanced at me with a blank expression, and nodded stiffly. "Yes. The doctor who was viewing your mother made a mistake with the ultrasound, as we have found out so recently. The blood samples were either tampered with, or lost in an influx of negative results."

I couldn't see any emotion on his face after that, and I think it's because he's either angry at the test from back then, or extremely monotonous. I for one, knew from his previously exhibited looks of anger, that he most definitely was not monotonous.

Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of what my future would look like.

Me standing in a line of men with a harsh black leather uniform, my arms scarred from years of battling opponents and my hands, equally scarred, were each holding a deadly weapon. My long blond hair was wild and flowing around my snarled and twisted face, my lips exposing my teeth in a snarl and my eyes narrowed as I went in for the kill.

My small, dainty hands clutched at each other to stop them from shaking. My future, as of right now, was uncertain.

We arrived close to two hours later.

I couldn't have been anymore nervous than I was just then. 

We drove past a rusted red pickup truck by a couple of thick bushes outside the compound, the bushes were hiding the tall and -by guesstimation, I think that it was twice as thick as Prison walls- brown bricked fencing and into a sort of, surveying area.

We were stopped by two very big men in black and blue uniforms with guns,but before they could point the gun at the driver and demand who it was, they recognized who was driving. There was a huge barricade looking gate in front of us, to which they moved manually for us. One of the men stared at me in shock, his face turning a ghostly white and his eyes widening. 

He watched us go in just as I watched him being left behind.

"Sit still, don't look at anything and for fuck's sake, be quiet." 

I felt like yelling at him and cussing my head off, but that wouldn't have done me any good. Officer Peters seemed like the type to want to hit someone just for the hell of it, and was only pretending that he was one of those people who expected you to underestimate them. So I listened to my instincts instead of my head. They told me exactly the same thing. So I just optioned for being quiet.

The road got bumpier and bumpier the more we drove on, and with one quick glance I took in the massive amounts of acres that was the compound. Everything was large, built to house even the most unique of things or talents. I guessed that they were expecting something big, what with all the space, but I couldn't be sure.

There were kids of all ages fighting in one courtyard with highly lethal looking weapons, and other kids doing. . . unnatural things. I almost gasped at the sight of one kid balancing one what looked like a luminescent spear, his hands a blur of motion as he practiced some sort of move.

"Look forward," snapped Officer Peters.

I held in a sigh and looked forward. 

If I see him when I'm holding a knife, I'm gonna shuck him in the eye with it and laugh.

Just then, the road evened out, and I glanced quickly behind me to see that there were millions of potholes behind us on the very used road. And then I looked forward like nothing happened. I wouldn't want Officer Prick over here to get angrier.

Off in the distance I could see a. . .  well, a mansion standing in all it's blinding glory. It was huge, and spanned easily ten acres with huge columns -like in Rome- that supported the second, third, fourth and fifth floors. 

There's gotta be a whole lot more than that, so I can't exactly say a thing about it except that it's monstrous.

And there was someone waiting out the front.