New Avatar Day

"What are they doing!?" I shouted to Toru. The crowd was cheering too loud for him to hear me, though. He turned and smiled at me, and I realized he'd been cheering too. I shook my head and shoved my way out of the crowd and dashed down the street.

"Kaori!" I heard Toru call after me. I ignored him and kept running. What kind of places is this? All the Avatar has ever done is help them and keep the peace, and they set fire to Kyoshi's statue?

I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I crashed into someone. I started falling backwards, but the earth came up and steadied me. Literally. My eyes widened, and I stumbled forward into the person's arms. I quickly stepped back to get a look at them. It was Akio.

"Akio?" I questioned, bewildered. "W-what are you doing here? Why aren't you with the rest of them?"

"I was just on my way over there," He explained. "What's wrong with you?"

"Why are they burning Avatar Kyoshi?"

Akio sighed. "This village was named after Chin The Conqueror. Avatar Kyoshi murdered him."

"That's not true!" I yelled, clenching my fists. "I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding."

"Tell that to every history book ever written."

"Wonder who wrote them," I muttered.

Akio glared at me. "Why are you so defensive of the Avatar? It's not like she's done anything for you! She abandoned the world a hundred years ago!"

I froze. "She what?"

"The Avatar has been missing a hundred years. Personally, I don't think she exists."

I couldn't breathe. I dropped to my knees and buried my face in my hands. I recalled Akio and Toru's mother's words. "She was found off the shore stuck in an iceberg."

"Akio?" Toru's voice came from behind me. "What did you do to Kaori?"

"Nothing," Akio answered defensively. "I just told her about Chin the Conqueror and the Avatar and she freaked out."

A hand lifted my chin and I looked into Toru's deep chocolate brown eyes. "Kaori, I know you must think we're harsh, but the Avatar really was cruel. She murdered a good and noble leader!"

I slapped his hand away and stood. "You don't know anything! I just happen to know the Avatar would never do something like that!"

"How do you know?" Akio asked, crossing his arms.

"Because I am the Avatar!" I yelled, a bit louder than I'd intended. My words echoed through the streets and I saw the villagers in the distance coming towards us. Akio had his mouth wide open and Toru's eyes were bulging out. I backed against a wall as the townspeople surrounded me.

"You are the Avatar?" A man with a long gray beard stepped forward.

"Um, y-yes," I replied lamely.

The man burst out laughing. "Ha! Right! And I'm the Sun Spirit!" The crowd laughed along with him.

I probably should've just let them believe I was insane. However, their comments angered me. I raised my hand. I saw Toru in my peripheral vision shaking his head frantically at me. Once again, I ignored him. Pulling the water from the air, I bended it around myself a few times before letting it drop to the ground. Everyone gasped and began murmuring amongst themselves. I looked at Toru and saw him staring at the man with the beard in fear. The man turned to another beside him.

"She's a waterbender," The other said.

"That doesn't necessarily make her the Avatar," Beardo reasoned.