Chapter 1

Slam!

‘Mom’s home’ I shuddered to myself. ‘Does she have anyone with her? How old will he be?’ My body trembles as I peak through the crack in my door. It no longer closes properly since Mike, mom’s last boyfriend was over. The dim moonlight illuminates my mom’s pale complexion. ‘She is alone’ I sigh to myself, forgetting how good her ears are. Sharp eyes cut into me.

“Susan? Is that you, baby?” she coos softly to me as if I were an animal ready to bolt. She slowly stocks over to me.

I cower under my blanket in the closet. How I got there is unknown to me. The door opens at a dangerously slow pace. She stumbles slightly, when entering, but doesn’t fall. ‘That’s rare’ I thought humorlessly to myself. All goes silent. After a while I hear footsteps echoing down the hall. ‘Is she gone? How long have I been crouching here? Is it safe to go to the bathroom?’ questions circulated through my head at a fast pace. Slowly I ascend and glance out of the closet. No one is there. I subtly open the door making sure it doesn’t creak. Cautiously, I take a step out. My eyes dart around the room as I release the silent breath that I didn’t know I was holding. Sharp talons clutch my throat, holding in the scream I so dearly wanted to let loose.

“I was wondering where you scampered off too. You little rat.” Venom evident in my mom’s voice. Her poisonous breath stings my nose. ‘She’s drunk’. I stated in my head, fear snaking it way up my spine with the knowledge. “Be a good girl and stay in your room or I’ll have to send you away with your sisters. I have company over and I don’t want to be disturbed.” Worm blood trickles down my brow as I make contact with the wall. “Sweet dreams my Suzie Q”. She whispers as the door softly closes.

My acid tears mix with the blood now starting to crust. My lifeless body slumps to the floor and my silent tear harden. I see nothing. I hear nothing. I feel nothing. I am nothing. Sleep.