Chapter Two

I, Naughty Sam, the hobo was chatting up my buddy Muddy Nick when I just happened to glance over his shoulder and watch a white van screech to a stop. Then I saw a man in a black ski mask jump out of the side door and grab a girl. The girl had on blue jeans and pink t-shirt she looked to be about 7 or 8 years old. The man then jumped back in the van with such speed I thought for a second he was a vampire. I then watched as the van sped away. I quickly told my buddy that I would talk to him later.

I jogged to my cart and started pushing it. You are probably wondering why my name is Naughty Sam. Well let’s make a long story short and say I steal food from stands set up outside grocery stores and liquor from the back of supply trucks. So I’m going to take it as that I’m wanted by the police so going to them isn’t an option so I decided that I would follow this van. As I followed the van I noticed that it stops but nobody gets out, which I find weird. That’s when I realize a girl in front of me about twenty steps.

I watched as the girl walked up to the van. She was wearing a blue shirt and red Capri type pants. I curiously watched as she looked inside, that’s when I see the side door open, and I think about screaming for her to run away, but by that time he has a gun pressed against the back of the girl’s head. Thankfully not me, but no one ever really notices the homeless anyway.

That’s when I see the man’s mouth move. I don’t see his mouth good enough to see exactly what he is saying. You should probably know that I’ve mastered the skill of lip reading over the years. I watched as she carefully climbed into the van and disappeared from my sight. I stood there frozen not quite sure what to do with what I had just seen.

I snapped out of it and raced after the van with my cart in tow. I followed it to, the industrial part of town. I watched it pull into a warehouse parking lot.

I then decided to go find my buddy and talk to him. I finally located him and push my cart quietly but swiftly up to him.

“Hey Muddy Nick I got a question for you. Not that I have seen this before but what would you do if you saw a kidnapping?” I asked.

“ Well that depends on if you did or not, because if you did then you should probably tell the police but make a deal with them first cause they probably want you for all that stealing and stuff and if you didn’t then don’t worry about it.” said Muddy Nick.

“K thanks buddy I’ll see you around.”  I replied, knowing that I need to go to the police or else I could be in jail for more years for withholding evidence. 

I headed there, only stopping to hide my cart behind an old abandoned store.  As I entered the olden style Police station building, I could feel eyes watching me from all around. I proudly walked up to the guy I thought was in charge and said that I had witnessed a kidnapping on  104, Sock Street 1 NW and that I would only give them the rest of the information if they cut me a deal.

I later learned the cops name was, Harry. He took me into the interrogation room and questioned me about what I had all seen. I told him the color of van and where the van went and a description of whom I saw driving. He asked me what the license plate number was I told him it had been blacked out or it didn’t have one.  He thanked me for my entire corporation and said that I could appear before a judge tomorrow and my sentence was going to be reduced 2 ½ years.  I listened as the sirens blared away to save the two girls. I had never felt more proud in my life. I have since then been put in jail I have a year left of my 2 year sentence.