chapter 7

Walking through the hotel lobby wearing a Harvard t-shirt much too large for her, Ned's drawstring shorts, glittering peep-toe pumps and elaborate makeup, her hair piled up on her head, and a grin she couldn't seem to repress, Nancy knew she was drawing stares again. She was carrying her gown very carefully, along with her clutch, and she doubtless looked like she was doing the walk of shame.

She didn't care. The euphoria of being around Ned hadn't worn off.

He wanted her. He had wanted her. He was an insanely rich, powerful, and breathtakingly handsome man, and he had practically begged her to spend the night with him.

Bess was going to kill her for turning him down.

Nancy was in the elevator, searching for her room key, when she pulled out her phone and saw two messages waiting. One was from Bess, one from Humphrey. She read the one from Bess first, another grin lighting her face.

Girl u better call me when u get in! I need *details*!

Nancy looked at the time on her phone. For Bess it wasn't quite so late, though. Nancy scrolled down to her next message as she exited the elevator and began to walk down the hall, checking her surroundings first.

Then she considered possibly having the dress taken to the hotel's secure storage, just in case whoever had sent her the note had the bright idea to trash her hotel room.

Think I might have a lead. I'll call u if I get in trouble.

Humphrey had sent her that text while she and Ned had still been at the benefit. Nancy glanced at Humphrey's door before she turned to her own. She didn't hear any noise from within or see a light under the door, but it was late. He was probably already in bed, or out on another one of his informal dates with a secretary. Nancy shrugged. She would talk to him in the morning. She wasn't in the mood to hear his snarky comments about how late she had been out with Ned.

Nancy carefully put the dress back on its hanger and put it in her closet, and sighed with relief as she stepped out of her heels and put them in as well. She headed to the bathroom and removed her makeup and let down her hair.

She still couldn't stop smiling.

She was still wearing Ned's clothes as she slipped off her moderately uncomfortable strapless bra and collapsed onto her bed with her cell phone. She tapped Bess's name in her contact list and listened to the call ring on the other end, wincing as she hoped that her friend hadn't gone to sleep yet.

"Nan! I was starting to give up on hearing from you tonight." Bess yawned. "Is it super-late there?"

"Yeah," Nancy admitted. "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

"Nah," Bess reassured her. "Hang on, let me go get a soda. Because I swear, you are going to spill. I have been dying to hear this story. You looked so totally gorgeous in that picture you sent!"

"Thanks," Nancy said with a giggle. "And I wouldn't have been without your advice. You're a lifesaver, Bess. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Be easily a quarter less fabulous," Bess teased her back immediately. Nancy could hear something rustling, and the sound of a refrigerator door closing. "Okay, I've got my Diet Coke and some chips just in case. Now start at the beginning."

Nancy rolled onto her back. "Well, I told you a little about the case before I left," she said. "A woman named Kate Gordon was killed during a business meeting on a yacht, and Dad was hired by one of the suspects to defend him. So Humphrey and I came here—"

"With your dad, right? Didn't you say he was coming along?" Bess took a sip of her soda.

"He was, but he's gotten hung up with a grand jury thing and he hasn't been able to make it to New York yet. Anyway, we started interviewing suspects. They're all investors."