Chapter One

• Dedicated to My Grandad

    Atop Jackson's back, I stormed out of the forest and into the field. The tall grass reached my knees. The sensation of riding bareback was thrilling. I threw my head back in pure joy. Our intrusion had caused the delicate white corpses of the dandelions to exdplode into thousands of little propellers, creating a magical scene. Each one floated gracefully in the crisp, clear air.

     I had once read that humans used to use machines called wind turbines, and the seperate parts of the dandelion head always reminded me of them. The turbines had preserved energy to provide for the massive amounts of electricity they used. The huge, 100 metre tall turbines would have been successful, except only some humans were devouted  enough and they all suffered for it.

     A horrible screeching blare echoed from the direction which I had come from, bringing me out of my mental history lesson and into the present. The guards blew into a trumpet to tell me to come back. I knew I was allowed to ride, but only if I didnt go too far, or they would send a search party to look for me. I was hanging by a thread already.

     I always went too far.

     In the distance, I could see the top of the highest spire of the castle. In the other direction I saw miles and miles and miles of fields like the one Jackson and I were in. Somewhere beyond the fields, after about two days worth of travelling on horseback, the forbidden fields began. Rumor has it that the transition from Tepita to the forbidden fields includes a dangerous ritual and a trecherous journey over a slimey river, but I believe there isn't anything in between. I think its supposed to be as inconspicuous as possible. You're supposed to not know when you enter the forbidden fields. So that they have an excuse to punish you.

      The blare came again, accompanied by the barking of dogs that announced the arrival of the search party. Jackson continued galloping through the field, the wind blowing through his mane. Grinning grimly, I turned his head towards the castle, without slowing him down. We passed the search party in the woods as a blur.

     And my dress was destroyed. Again.