The Story of Last Summer - Chapter 4

'Surprise!' yelled the big crowd that was gathered in Klaus and Callum's apartment, as Klaus and I walked in. Klaus' face transformed into a smile that spread from ear to ear. I had never seen him so happy in my life and I guess that was something great about him. He appreciated every kind thing that happened to him like it was all so rare to him.

'Did you guys really plan this?' he asked, still grinning, 'Were you a part of this, too?' he asked me.

'It was her idea,' Callum said.

I laughed, 'Last night, when we were at your brother's place and you told me we were spending the night, I saw it as an opportunity to surprise you so I called Callum.'

Klaus started grinning again, 'You are amazing.' 

The party went really well as there was a great turn-up. Klaus looked like he was having an amazing time. Callum noticed as well.

'You really do make him happy,' Callum said to me.

'It's not just me,' I said, 'All of you guys make him happy, too.'

'Trust me, though,' he continued, 'If it weren't for you he wouldn't be this happy. He's so deeply in love with you, it's so clear.'

'I know,' I said, blushing, 'I'm really in love with him, too.'

After the party, I took Klaus out of the house and we started walking around the city for a while.

'So,' I started, 'I haven't given you your present yet.'

'I noticed,' he said, 'I've been thinking about it all day,' he said, laughing, to show that he was just joking.

'Sucks for you because all you get is a hug and maybe, if you're lucky, a kiss.'

His jaw dropped, 'Are you kidding me? Well I guess that's all I really need anyway.'

'Oh, don't do that.'

'Do what?' he asked, cheekily.

'That whole innocent thing.'

'I am innocent. What are you talking about?'

'Fine,' I said, 'If a hug and a kiss is really all you want then come here.' I flung my arms around his waist and looked up at him and gave him a kiss.

 'No, no, no! Where's my present?' he said, whining like an eight-year-old

I laughed, 'You chose the hug and the kiss. I'm sorry, but that's all you're getting.'He raised his eyebrows and I started laughing, 'Just follow me,' I said.

'Okay,' I said, holding up a gift bag.

He opened the bag that contained a collage that formed a bird, 'A bird?' he looked confused for a second.

'If you look closely it's a collage of strips of paper. You told me all your favorite books so I chose some quotes from each of the books and formed this with it,' I said, 'And it forms a mockingbird because when we first met, you made me read 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.' He pulled me in from my waist and just held me.

'I love it,' he said, giving me a kiss.

'So,' Stefan said, 'Was that the best night you ever had with Klaus?'

'Where I told him I attempted to kill myself?' I said, laughing.

Klaus laughed, 'When you put it like that, it's different. But really, was it?'

'It was definitely at the top,' I started, 'But probably not the best.'

'What was the best?' Stefan asked.