Surprise

Summary: Alternate world. Set in 1950s Gotham City, NJ.

⊰❉⊱

It had been almost a year since he had last been in Gotham City. He had spent the last couple of months in Europe due to Bruce's insistence that he takes a year before coming to work for Wayne enterprises. The months before he left had not been so great for him but things where different know. He was certainly happy that he had listened to Bruce. Not something he often admitted. 

Arriving to the manor, he was surprised to see a lot of activity. Please were coming and that made him curious. He was no aware that any sort of festivity or event would be happening soon, but then again, he did not call often so perhaps he shouldn't be as surprised. 

Walking inside the place he had been calling home for the last couple of years after being away for so long felt good. He enjoyed his travels but he also liked being home, even if Gotham City was not a perfect city. 

Making sure to stay out of the way of the people carrying all sort of things into the manor, Richard made his way to the second floor, away from all of the chaos. But he soon came to find a different kind of chaos in the form of two of his younger siblings fighting. But that wasn't new. Tim and Damian often argued about the smallest of things. 

Leaning against the doorframe of Tim's bedroom, he saw the pair argue, though he had no idea what had caused this. 

"What are you two fighting about this time?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest as both boys looked at him in disbelief. He imagined that seeing his face was the last things either of them expected.

Both boys were silent for a moment, that he feared for them. He had never seen them this quiet, not when they were in the same room. 

"It must be really bad if you can't say what it is..." He chuckled at their expressions. "Or maybe you both just missed me too much."

"When did you get back?" Tim was the first to speak after sharing a quick glance with his younger brother.

Richard looked at his watch before answering. "About five minutes ago..."

"You should have called, Grayson," Damian said, mirroring him as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Telephones exist you know."

"I know."

"Then use them," the younger boy said before leaving the room. Leaving his two older brothers to stare after him.

"He missed you," Tim said as he came to stand next to him, watching Damian disappeared into his room. "We all did but I think he missed you the most. But you did not hear that from me," he was quick to add, making Richard laugh.

"So... what where you two fighting about?" He was curious to know what had caused their fight this time.

Tim shrugged. "Nothing really. He is upset... something to do with his mother. He wanted yell at someone, I suppose."

"I will talk to him," Richard said, knowing Damian's mother was a touchy subject. "Where's Bruce? And more importantly, where is Alfred?"

"Bruce is in the office. Alfred is making sure everything is ready for tonight," Tim answered. "We were all instructed to and I quote 'stay out of the way if you are not going to help' by Alfred."

Richard smiled, patting Tim's shoulder. "We both know we wouldn't really be of any help."

"Yes, I know that."

"Good. I will go find the little demon and talk to him," he said as he began walking down the hall. "But I will see you tonight. What's the dress code?"