•• Chapter 43 ••

Days came and went. The people were trained, the doctors were supplied and we had plenty of stocked food and water. We were ready. We were now anxiously waiting for the war to explode. Everyone was stressed and anxious. It could happen anytime.

I was sitting between Lena and Ennur as they were resting. War. So many people could die. If only the King and the Prince weren't so stubborn, selfish and that I hated them so much, I would have preferred to negotiate. But this will never happen. And because of that, people that I knew, that I loved may die. I shivered from the thought of me killing the enemy. I never killed someone before. I didn't want to know how it felt and didn't want to experience it. But in a war... It was either kill or be killed. So cruel.

"Keith!" shouted someone from above making me look up.

"Sebastian!" I greeted back with a smile as he landed just in front of me.

"Hurry! Take Lena and Ennur with you, they are coming! Hurry!" said my best friend all panicked making me jump up.

I couldn't process what he said but only followed his instructions. I called the dragons to follow me as I followed Sebastian.

The war, it was here. The moment everyone dreaded was here.

When we landed in front of the house, everyone was already there. I rushed to my mate and put my arms around his waist.

"Don't worry mate, I'm here," he kissed the top of my head and it was only then that I noticed that I was trembling.

"I'm scared... I don't want to kill..." I mumbled into his chest.

Ryan didn't answer, he held me tighter into his arms. "I'm scared too, but we have to be strong for our people," he finally said making me look up. "I'll protect you as I'll protect my people. I promise."

"But who will protect you?" I mumbled to myself as I could feel a tear slide of my cheek on the idea that Ryan might die.

Hopefully, he didn't seem to hear it, so he started to give orders. In an hour or so, we had people flying in the sky with dragons, warriors hidden in the forest, other in plain sight and Ryan and I were in front of them. We could clearly see their army flying toward us. They were all wearing shining armors as we were wearing darker ones.

I had a bow in my hands, my sword ready to be unleashed and Lena beside me. Ryan was dressed in a similar attire, but he didn't have a bow, he had multiples swords and knives on his armor. When the Aquilam army was close enough, so we could see their soldiers individually, they stopped. Both armies were posted in front of each other waiting for the other to make a move first.

My breathing caught when a man flew closer to us. I started to feel nervous and hoped it didn't show on my face. As he got closer, I now recognized the man. It was the Prince. Where was the King? I looked behind him, but saw no one with a golden armor. Only the Prince wore it. Did it mean that the King died? Was he too sick to fight? No matter the reason it was now the man in front of us who was in command.

"Do not make a step further! Explain your business on the Ignis territory!" shouted my mate.

"Only something that rightfully belongs to me. I want Keith Vanburen, so we can punish him for the murder of the King!"

My mouth fell open. I killed who?! I looked at my mate and saw confusion in his eyes too.

"An error seems to be made. Keith Vanburen never attempted on anyone life!"

"Maybe not him, but his father, Daniel Vanburen, did. And before this man," the Prince pointed at me, "decided to betray us. So hand him to us and we shall bestow a befitting punishment."

"What if I refuse?"

"Then, I seem to be void of choices and come take him by force!" shouted the Prince angrily before retreating to his army, but stopped. "I'll wait for a favorable answer by sundown."

I looked at my mate and didn't understand why the Prince gave us that reason. Didn't he want me as his... Whatever he wanted me to be.

We waited and observed most of the Prince army retreat on the ground. Maybe they needed to form a new strategy? I looked at Ryan before he called for Helena.

"You called my King?" said Helena as soon as she arrived.

"Inform my men to keep an eye on them and immediately notify me if something happens. We are going to retire and form a new strategy," explained the man beside me.

Helena went to do what she was told to do as I followed Ryan back into our house. I frowned when he went to our room instead of his office.

"Ryan? Aren't we going to your office?" My wings puffed out surprised when I saw and heard our bedroom door slam open. I never saw Ryan that angry before. "Mate talk to me," I carefully said as I approached him from behind. I wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned my head on his back. "What's wrong?"

"He fucking wants you!" he said through his gritted teeth. "That damn brat, he thinks he can get you like that!"

I frowned, "But you already knew he wanted me. I don't understand why you're angry."

"He fucking thinks I'll give you to him because I'm scared of a war?!" he shouted furiously.

My mate wanted to protect me and our people, but who will protect him? He had always shouldered this responsibility, but even if he was my mate, our King, he was still a man. And he needed help. I let go of my mate waist and walked in front of him. I took his face between my hands and looked at him in the eyes, "Then let's show them who we really are. Let's destroy them."