Chapter Two

March 2022

Now you're all caught up. Now you know who I am. Melanie Orr, one-fourth of the world-famous girl group, Dream Chasers. In our six-year career, we've released an EP and three albums. Three years ago, we were the opening act for Ariana Grande during the American leg of her tour. Eight months later we headlined our arena tour in North America and Europe. Needless to say, we're considered a big deal, but the label wants us to be bigger. That's how this all came about.

A year ago, label executives informed us of their plan to expand our reach by pairing us with Stitch. Stitch is the biggest boyband in the world. They've been a worldwide sensation since their creation in 2013. They've toured the world performing in sold-out arenas and stadiums. They're internationally known. They're also signed to Kranky Music Label just like us. Kranky wants Dream Chasers to benefit from Stitch's success. It's not enough for them to have the biggest boy band in the world. They want the biggest girl group as well. And with talented acts like BlackPink breaking into the Western music market, there's a lot of competition. If we're going to be as successful as the label wants, then we need to make use of our resources. Of course, we agreed to work with Stitch. We would've been foolish not to.

Our tether to them is beginning tonight. Members from both groups are presenting together at the Totally Teen Awards. We're also scheduled to collaborate on two songs. Our first joint studio session is taking place in London in a few days. This is all leading up to a joint world tour in 2023 right after we release our fourth album, and they release their seventh. There's even going to be a documentary of us preparing for the tour and going on it, along with other things to celebrate Stitch's tenth anniversary. The documentary has a tentative theater release date in December 2023. The label has planned a bright and prosperous future for both of our groups.

But like I said before, it's beginning tonight with us presenting an award together. Our two groups total to nine adults in their mid to late twenties. Pretty much everyone agreed that's too many people to have on a small stage for a few minutes. So, the powers that be chose me, Ava, Chad, and Zamir to announce the award for Favorite Music Group.

It's been over six years since I was introduced to the five guys of Stitch. There's been passing interaction between our groups on social media, but I doubt they remember me personally so I'm admittedly a little nervous. No matter how famous I get, meeting other celebrities makes me feel like an eager teenage girl. My dad thinks it's good that I'm still humble after so much success. His new fiancée, Lydia, thinks I'm one of those entitled divas who fakes nice for the cameras. She's had maybe four interactions with me since she and my dad started dating two years ago, so I don't know why she, or her horrible daughter, feels that way.

I'm standing backstage wearing a form-fitting dress that's plum in color and made from satin. It has one sleeve that goes to my wrist and the hem stops on my mid-thigh. Black velvet, open-toe, chunky heel pumps are my shoes of choice. There are extensions in my hair adding fullness to the loose wands curls that are framing my face. A long silver necklace hangs around my neck and a jeweled ring is on my right hand. I look good, but that's nothing new. It's part of my job to look good. It's not enough that I can sing, society expects me to be always unrealistically beautiful. That's led to more therapy sessions than I care to admit.

Ava is dressed in a black leather skirt that stops at her mid-thigh with a red, black and white paisley patterned blouse that has a billowy neckline. Her hair is no longer fire engine red. It's in its natural brunette color with honey blonde highlights, straightened, and parted on the right with a portion tucked behind her ear. She's wearing red leather peep-toe stilettos. Our makeup and hair stylist, Megan, and clothing stylist, Brennan, are doing last-minute touch-ups to make sure we'll look good on camera. In the first year of our career, we were responsible for our hair, makeup, and wardrobe. That led to a couple of appearances on the worst dressed lists. We've come a long way since then.