sixteen: the sociAl evil

2009

"My ghost, where'd you go? What happened to the soul you used to be?"

She was readjusting her skirt, tugging and tugging on the hem that kept seeming to slide even higher up her thighs, when he opened the back door. His hair was messy and his face had yet to be shaven for the day.

"What took you so long?" Jason complained, pulling her inside by her forearm.

Jo slung her half-dry hair over her shoulder, still irritated at him for his midday booty call. It was one thing for it to happen in the middle of the night and another in the midst of one of the only family vacations she had a year. "We were with the Reynolds' at the lake. I had to convince my mom the hotdogs I ate made me sick and beg Garrett to give me a ride over here."

"Is he pissed at you?" He shut the door, sliding the white curtains back in place.

"No, he wanted to see Jenna anyway," She explained, wishing she hadn't sacrificed the hotdogs her father made for the sake of her lies. He wasn't much of a cook, but he'd spent half the day cooking enough for everyone. She knew it made him feel bad that his food could've given his daughter food poisoning. "But I had to give up wakeboarding for you."

"I didn't know you liked wakeboarding."

"It's one of the only physical things I enjoy."

Jason leaned down and looked into her eyes. "You're lying to me, little girl."

"Prove me wrong." She put her hands on his chest, dragging her nails slowly until she reached his belt.

He moved closer to her with a smug look on his face before taking her bottom lip between his, kissing her gently. Her hands clenched his hips at his touch, wishing for something less teasing than a chaste kiss.

"I don't like you hanging around her, Alison. She is bad news."

Jason reacted quicker than she did at the sound of his mother's approaching voice; he scooped her up quickly and moved into the laundry room, shutting the door behind them before Jo's pretty brown eyes could ever even open.

"What are you—"

He put a hand over her mouth. "They'll hear us. Don't speak."

She pushed his hand from her mouth and stomped on his foot. His glaring was mostly unnoticed in the dark of the room as the only source of light was from a small window over the washer. Jo tugged him by the collar and whispered, "Do you expect me to just wait for them to leave? I told your sister I'd hang out with her in an hour and a half."

"We won't be in here that long."

"No, just long enough to get caught."

In the corner was an old wooden chair that would've looked nice once in a dining set but had long since been forgotten under cobwebs and dust. Jason moved it to the door, strategically placing it under the knob as a provisional lock. He raised his brows as she furrowed hers unimpressed.