Chapter Three

Boy ain't it hot. The sun is directly above us and there ain't no shade we can hide from the heat. Me and my comrades are travelling for almost two days, on our way to the safest place we know amidst this savage war. My half-brother, David and I, took turns in driving, with us is our sister in law, Abbiegaile.

Through out our travel, I never stopped thinking of Maritessa, the woman I love with all my heart. She died yesterday morning after Jerry dropped a bomb on her neighbor's lawn which killed her. I tried my best to move on, as David suggested, but I can't. One can't easily move on after a beloved person died, it ain't that simple. I am trying my best to hide my solitude. I had to put my misery behind me.

 "No. You can't go." David tells Abbiegaile

"I SHALL go. With or without your approval." Abbiegail refused

"You are a woman! You prohibitted to join the army as a soldier, but you can volunteer as a nurse." David explained.

"The law doesn't state that a woman can't fight in the war." She replied.

"It doesn't mean that if it isn't written in the law, that it is already possible." David said, " The law never said that a car can fly and if it did it will end up bad, just as what will happen if you join the army."

"I had set my mind on it and you can't change my decision." she said.

One thing you must know about Abbiegaile is that when she is determined about something you may never restrain her from doing it. Watching them fight is quite an entertainment. They'll look lovely together. The thought of that is quite funny since David is the laid-back and chatty person and Abbiegaile is the serious and loyal type.

"Why are you laughing?" David asked me.

"Huh? I wasn't." I said.

"You were, bro." he replied.

"Was I?" I asked.

"Yes, you were." he said.

"Bloody shit!" I exclaimed.

"What? Where?" Abbiegaile asked.

"Oh. It means 'damn'" David specified, "I was bedazzled with his expressions at first but as time passed I got a hang of it."

"The only thing that I do that puzzles him is the 'two finger salute.'" I said with a huge grin in my face.

"Yeah. What was that supposed to mean anyway?" he asked.

"It means 'fuck you'" Abbiegaile said.

"Bingo!" I said.

"How did you know?" he asked her.

"A friend of mine told me." she said.

"So that's why I was taken down by my drinking buddies." he said.

"Why? You did them in front of them?" I asked.

"Yep. They're Brits too, you know." he said, "You Brits annoys me."

"The feeling's mutual, mate." I replied.

David just playfully pounched my arm and they went back to their argument. I smiled and drove on. I can't believe that me and David can be this close. We have the same father but differrent mothers. Our father is a bit of a playboy and he had several marriages. David's mum was our father's third wife. In that time, my father also had many mistresses and one of them is my mummy. David's mum find out and divorsed with father. Father wed mum after knowing that she's pregnant with me. David's mum died after twelve years and he stayed with us. At first I was startled because I found out that my classmate, my camping partner, my sport buddy and my bestfriend, for a long time is actually my brother. After knowing the truth we started to drift away from each other.