[S01E05] "Under The Rainbow"

It must have been only fifteen or twenty minutes later when Rick pulled off of the highway. They pulled off onto a dirt road that seemed to lead into an endless cornfield.

The stalks were rotting and falling over. They were the grey, earless, leftover remains of last year's crop, and they were everywhere Liz could see. How many ears of corn on a cornstalk, she wondered. How many ears of corn must have filled this field? Enough to feed the whole world for a day, perhaps.

"Corn, Corn, everywhere but not an ear to eat," said Rick. "A very wise man once said that everything in the world could be put into just two categories. Too much and not enough. Which one is this?"

"Too much and not enough..." repeated Liz. Had they had this conversation before?

"I'm going to get out of the car for a sec, your welcome to join me if you wish." Rick looked at Liz for a response but she was staring off into the cornfield as if she was hypnotized. "Or you can sit there and go mad looking at the corn, if you like. That's what happened to the wise man."

"No, I'll come with you." Liz got out of the car, but she did so without looking away from the corn. There was something about it, like a memory or a dream. The way the wind brushed against the tops of the corn stalks. It was just like this, standing in a corn field in Kansas. But how could that be? That was impossible.

She had never been to Kansas. It must have been in Indiana. They had corn there too. But not like this. No it couldn't have been Indiana.

Maybe it had been when she was small. Maybe being a child made the Indiana corm look bigger. Who was there? Who was she with? She couldn't remember. The sky... The gray sky.

It didn't feel like she was a child in the memory though. It felt like now. How could that be? She turned around to ask Rick if he remembered, but that wouldn't make any sense that he would know. She just met him last night.

Rick opened up the trunk of his car and he pulled out a jug of distilled water. He unscrewed the top and flipped the jug around on his thumb, drinking it from the back of his arm. Liz remembered all this too.

"Stop!" She shouted at Rick, holding her hand up in front of her.

Rick froze mid sip and then slowly began looking around himself for signs of danger.

"You're still doing it!" She exasperated.

"What am I doing?"

"Things! Things that have already happened. This happened already, to you and me."

"The corn has driven you mad."

"I knew you would say that and it's not funny, btw. Oh my god. Just shh... Don't say anything. Be quiet."

Rick just stood frozen for a moment. Liz looked up at the sky. There was something about the corn and the sky and the car and Rick. In the memory, Rick was holding on to her in the car, really tightly. It was so hard that she couldn't breathe and she felt so small. Liz shook her head. She was definitely having a vision, but what was it? What did it mean?

Just as quickly as the vision started, it stopped. Liz really needed a drink, now. She looked as Rick.

"Is it over?" Asked Rick. "This jug is getting kind of heavy."

"I think... Yes... It's over." Liz said, "that was like some super freaky Deja Vu."

"I guess so... Are you hungry?"

"Starving."

Rick handed Liz the water and opened the party cooler in the trunk. He took out some plastic silverware and handed it to Liz.