when payton loves

"Hey Payton!" I turn around, looking for the source of the voice that called out my name, and then I see Trevor.

I put on a fake smile as he comes barreling towards me. He tackles me with a hug, and we both fall on the grass, him on top of me with only his hands propped up on the ground to prevent his full weight from falling onto me.

My cheeks grow warm as my mind registers our close proximity, and I feel my heart flutter in my chest as he chuckles at my reaction.

He rolls off of me, stands up, brushes off some grass and dirt off his pants, and, finally, helps me up.

He swings his arm around my shoulder like nothing ever changed between us and asks me the same question he always asks every time he sees me for the past 15 years that we've known each other, "So, what's up?"

Gosh, guys are so dense.

I only shrug in response, much to his disappointment.

"Aw, come on! I've been getting that same response ever since you turned 15!"

'That's because that was the time I fell for you, you idiot.' I think to myself. Because, come on, do you seriously think I can tell him that?

He suddenly comes to a halt. "You know, now that I think about it, it was also around that time that you became so distant. We used to be best friends. What happened?" He looks at me as he waits for an explanation.

"Nothing happened, Trevor. I just became busy, that's all." I lie.

I did become distant, still am. Because I started falling for him. Hard.

"With what?" He looks at me skeptically, not believing my shitty excuse for one second.

"With stuff." I snap at him. Can't he take a hint? I do not want to talk about this kind of stuff. Because if I do, I'll probably break down, and I don't want him to see me like that.

He looks a bit taken back at my sudden outburst but quickly recovers and shrugs, clearly dropping the subject, "Alright, whatever you say. So when can we hang out again? You know, just like old times."

Ugh, guys are so insensitive.

I am just about to reject his offer when he adds the words I never want to hear from him, "Plus, I want you to meet my girlfriend."

***

I want to hate her. I really, really do. But she was just so nice and pretty and perfect that it was impossible to even dislike her, much less hate her.

I swear, she has no flaws.

Maybe that's why Trevor fell for her. She's everything I ever wanted to be.

She's not fat, but she's not too skinny either. She has the perfect curves. Meanwhile, I'm as thin as a twig with no curves.

Her perfectly tanned skin was soft as a baby's butt. And me? I'm as pale as milk. Whenever I try to get tanned, I end up only getting sunburned; my skin turns to red.

Her blonde hair fell in perfect waves on her shoulders and not a single strand was out of place. My hair always looks like a tornado had passed by it. It's unruly and curly and untamed and worst of all? It's red. I mean, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against redheads, I just hate my hair, okay?

Her stormy gray eyes were extraordinary. They were mysterious and mesmerizing at the same time. While my green eyes are just really dull and empty.

Her lips looked so soft and it was so pink. And my thin lips are a shame.

I'm sorry for comparing, but I just couldn't help it.