Beneath the Crowd - 2

I walk back to the house and throw both my bags on the kitchen table with such force it snaps and breaks in half. I hope Mother didn’t plan on bringing that.

I run upstairs to the study and quickly log onto the desktop. Of course my dad gave me to the name of the town, but did he not think about how many places are named Suffolk? Well, it’s not like I do; but still, I would have liked a much more detailed address. No doubt mother is going to be eyeing his phone like a hawk, so I don’t think I can ask him.

             I wait for Google Maps to load and type in Suffolk.

             2 locations, one in Virginia, and one in the UK… fuck.

             I take out my phone can call Jack. Maybe he can text my dad, mother doesn’t think I have friends. Ha!

             “Hello?” Jack answers.

             “Hey, Jack, I need your help. Can you please please please text my dad for me? Ask him where he is, where he’s going?” I beg.

             “Yea sure, but why? What’s up?” He asks.              

             “Umm, well, my mom called me home because we’re moving, and they sorta left without me,” I admitted. This couldn’t get any more embarrassing, who leaves their child behind, on purpose? I bet if Jacks mom lost him in the supermarket, she’d rip the place apart, interrogating every man she thinks looks like a pedo.

             “That’s kinda funny actually. Did they mean to?” He laughs.

             “This isn’t funny, as much as I hate my mother, I can’t stay here. She has all the connections with the butcher shops!” I yell in frustration.

             “Why does she have connections with the butcher shop?” Jack asks sounding very confused.

             Oh shit. “Well, uhh, I have this thing for like, really fresh… juicy beef.” I explain, each word coming out slower and more awkward.

             “Oh, well, I didn’t think you were that kind of guy.” Jack clucks.

             “Jack, enough with the jokes. Text my dad, but make it sound like you were looking him, my mom is probably monitoring his phone, ready to pounce on it once she sees a familiar name.” I warn.

             “Alright, I’ll call you back, but under one condition.”

             “And what’s that?”

             “You have to call me a minimum of three times a day, tell me whenever you’re leaving your house and where you’re going. You have to tell me who you’re hanging out with and what time you’ll be home, understand?” He demands in a high pitch snobby tone.

             “What are you, my girlfriend? Goodbye Jack, I’ll hear from you in a few minutes, the cab will be here any minute.” I reply then hang up.

             Jack and be such a dork, but he’s my closest friend. He’s like the brother I’ve always wanted and has the mother I’ve never had.

             A loud horn goes off in my drive way and I run to the staircase where the front wall is all tinted glass that looks out into the front yard. I look outside and see a yellow and black striped car. Crap, Jack better hurry up!

             My phone vibrates and I look down and see a text from Jack.

             Framlingham, Suffolk, England UK.

          Norfolk Crescent. The brown house.

I text him back thanks and jog downstairs, quickly grabbing my bags from the broken table. I run outside to the cab and jump hop into the back seat.

             “Airport please,” I mumble, checking my duffel bag for my wallet and passport.

My phone vibrates in my pocket as I wait for them to call for First Class.

             “Hello?” I answer

             “Hey, I just called to say that I miss you, and that I want you back,” Jack says in a high pitch tone.

             “Would all first and business class passengers please board now, I repeat, would all first and business class passengers please board now.” The lady behind the counter repeats slowly.

             “Hey Jack, sorry, I’ve got to go. I’m boarding. I’ll call you later.” I promise.               

             “Alright, my mom said have a safe trip and don’t forget to call,” Jack notifies.

             “Will do! Bye!” I say quickly and hang up.

             I quickly walk to the nonexistent line for first class where I hand the lady my ticket.

             “Passport?” She smiles politely and I reach into my back pocket and hand it to her.

             Geez, how many times are they going to ask for that?

             “Have a great flight!” She smiles, a little too happy if you ask me.

             I proceed my way into the plane and find my seat, relaxing as I prop my feet up on the foot rest.

             “Mommy, why does the boy in front us have no reflection?” A little girl behind me asks.

             “What are you talking about Sweetie? I can see one,” the mother whispers quietly.

             “You’re just blind,” the little girl giggles back. I guess she hasn’t lost her sixth sense yet.

             “Alright Cindy, bed time,” the mother says, then leaning forward she says, “sorry about my daughter, she’s a little hyper today. It’s her first time on a plane.”

             “Don’t worry about it!” I smile kindly and the mother blushes.

             Well, so far so good!