Chapter 1

Everything just sorta snapped in place that one day at the park, it was a peaceful May evening. Varian remembered because he wasn’t within the evenings grasp, laughing or playing in the park. If you happened to walk through the park on the cobblestone path, you’d get that sense that someone was watching you, a presence near. But if you were to look, you wouldn’t see a soul staring in your direction. That’s because for those few hours he was there, he was on the outside of the evening, sorta of like at the edge of the night staring within its hold at the people that seemed to occupy its time.

He was nothing more than teen leaning against a decrypted gnarled tree that just started to sprout little green buds, he thought the only reason he choose that particular spot the first time there. Was because the tree was a sad looking thing that no one really looked at or stopped to notice. It was old, with spirals of bark and missing limbs, just a sad little thing.

If you did happen to look, your eye would pass by quickly, your brain wouldn’t register that someone was there, he was invisible... he was well... dead. Nothing but a cold patch of air, mixing with the breeze. That was of course if he choose you too see him, he could shift from a somone, too no one.

It happened at the very same spot he was sitting, Varian overdosed on a cocktail of special downers and painkillers for cancer patients. He sat and smoked black clove cigarettes throughout the night until he couldn’t even get a breath in him to finish the last cigarette in the damn pack. He was dead maybe for an hour and he knew this because death seemed to steal everything that made him human... or what was left.  It left him gutted for the  blackness to sweep in and numb him cold. Then as if someone punched Varian in the stomach he awoke laying in the dewy grass with the big dipper gleaming down on him.

It’s sort of funny really, he was always invisible for starters, but now Its like he was given a lame second chance to live with the ability to be both invisible and visible, a new mindset of the world that he never would of witnessed. Still though, he was doing the same old thing everyday as if he was never dead, smoking cloves and observing the world from the outside, Varian was lame excuse for a human.