Chapter 2 - Something's up

CHAPTER 2

Eliza's POV

I huffed as I walked into the School Canteen, the day after I spoke to Joey in our secret meeting place. He hadn't called last night which was strange as I spoke to him all the time, every night as well as during the day.

Something was definitely up.

I surveyed the Canteen and looked for a place to sit.

All the usually groups where congregated around their tables, the chavs, the super posh, the sluts, the tomboys, geeks and the misfits. I hated Stereotypes but they really did fit the moulds.

I let out an exaggerated sigh and slumped down on the table nearest the trash can - which may I add was the only left available otherwise  their was no way I would ever sit there-  as I saw May, my only friend at school, walking over to me, a huge grin plastered on her face.

I played with the lasagne on my plate, not really feeling hungry because of the remnants of the trash can all over my table.

I swiped the trash off the table as May slumped into chair opposite me and sat up excitedly, squealing as her eyes lite up.

"Hey" she chirped excitedly

"Hey yourself, why so happy if you don't mind me asking"

"Well... You'll never guess who just asked me out ?"

Okay so I wasn't expecting that.  May was a shy bookish girl who never really cared for boys, much like me. She had reddish-ginger hair and green eyes. She was really pretty and had potential but hid under her glasses, ponytail, baggy tops and below the knee length skirts or long trousers.

A gasp escaped my mouth as I looked at her with widened eyes, "Who?" I asked trying to remain cool.

She hesitated then blurted out, "Jim Ward"

I almost choked on my food, "huh? what do you mean, Jim Ward,  Jim who works for Joey's family,  Jim whose 18 and looks like a damn model?!" I never really liked guys, but always had a small crush on Jim.

"uhh huuh" she said as her face broke out into another wide toothy grin.

Huh, that's strange I thought to myself, Dick didn't let staff date whilst working for him, said they were distractions. My mind cast back to not receiving a call from Joey last night. Something was definitely up.

"Well" May interrupted my thought.

"Well what?"

"Aren't you gunna ask what I said"

"May I've known you since year 2, I know you've always had a crush on Jim so umm I'm guessing you said, No?!" I chuckled sarcastically as May rolled her eyes so far back I thought she was fitting for a moment.

"Fine, smart ass, well for your information, I turned him down at first, I told him I didn't want any trouble from Dick if he found out he went out with me." May said looking chuffed with herself.

"At first, so you mean you eventually said yes, ha, I'm still right"

"Shut up Eliza and just listen for a sec! He said it didn't matter he wasn't going to have a job for much longer. So I said ye-"

"What! Why wouldn't he have a job" I randomly outburst only just hearing what she had actually said.

"I dunno" May sighed looking slightly irritated that I had interrupted her. She winkled her freckled nose clearly showing she was slightly defeated and annoyed.

"Sorry, go on, tell me all about it" I said trying to listen to her whilst I thought about the whole thing absentmindedly.

That's got to have something to do with Joey, usually I couldn't get him off the phone but he never even called, ohh well probably another fight with his parents. Although the Jim thing seems a bit odd. There's probably nothing wrong i'm just reading too much into it, as always.