Chapter 8

"Jordan," he whispered "what are you going on about?"

"Dante stopped by," she sighed "I didn't think anything of it. You know, he's came by with you and all I figured he was here for you but when he just suddenly left I thought something was up and I was going to tell you but you came in and started smashing things around an-"

"Well for god's sake Jordan you didn't think that might be a good time to tell me!" He interrupted and slammed his fist into the short, chipped up table near him.

"No, honestly I didn't at all since you were clearly already mad I didn't see that as a golden opportunity to inform you of anything, let alone something bad!"

"Just-just go in the back room alright. We'll talk later. But you're sure Dante was the only other person in here today?" Harry asked. She nodded and quietly sulked back into the room were the two kids played.

Harry sat on the edge of the bed and put his head in his hands. I didn't know what to do; if I should comfort him or not. I had only recently met him and our encounters so far have been only when I thought he was going to kill me, and now; when it's obvious I came at a terrible time. I ultimately decided to try to comfort him and maybe smooth everything out. The bad sank underneath my weight and he slid so our thighs were touching. I put my hand on his back and sighed, thinking of what would be best to say.

"I'm really sorry we had to spend our first time together under these circumstances. When I invited you over I wasn't expecting to have my tickets been stolen. But we can start over right now. We'll spend this day together and tomorrow I'll get my tickets back alright?" He smiled and moved to lie down on the bed.

"How do you plan to do that?" I questioned and lied down next to him.

"I have no plan. I'll do whatever it takes. I'll kill him for those tickets you know? They mean everything to me," He said seriously.

"A boy in my 6th grade class once told me he'd kill me if I didn't give him my purple fruit snack. So I popped it in my mouth and walked away, and look at me all alive and whatnot." I smiled, trying to change the subject.

"I don't think anyone is really alive anymore. Not since the whole moon thing. We're all just kind of surviving, and if not surviving, merely existing." He inserted.

"Really?" I said sarcastically "I told you a story about a fruit snack killer and that is what you took from it? You must be real fun at parties."

Then he shrugged, and made no reply; the classic way to kill a conversation both. The sound of water dropping from a hole in the ceiling was the only noise I could hear, and the occasional giggle from the back room, that is until he shifted closer and opened his mouth to speak.

"So you really did walk all the way over here just for this?" He smiled, placing his hand on my thigh. It wasn't just a normal gesture; he was actually rubbing my inner thigh.

"No, uh- what are you doing?" I questioned, swatting his hand away from my leg. That wasn't something you do to someone you just met, and to be honest it made me uncomfortable.

"Oh ha-ha," he mocked, attempting again to replace his hand from where I had removed it "I think we both know why you came out here. Don't take me for a fool"

"I think if anyone here is misinterpreting things it's you! I came over because I was bored and was happy to have the possibility of making a friend!" I ranted, "Anyways, you have a girlfriend!"

"Woah now! Where did you get this information?" He said, immediately removing his hand and looked at me as if I was crazy.

I explained to him how Jordan had told me about how he went off to his girlfriends all the time. He shook his head and gave a small snicker.

"Look, that isn't how it is but if I tell you something you have to promise me you won't tell them," he confessed. I promised with a nod and he continued "I don't have a girlfriend. It's just a lot easier to explain to 3 kids rather than I'm going out to do risky, dangerous things to try to keep us safe."

"Oh," I said, not sure whether to believe him "what do you mean by dangerous stuff?"

"Never mind that. So you didn't come her for any specific reason?" He asked, raising his eyebrows and smirking with the last two words. I shook my head and he sighed.

I couldn't tell if he was relieved or upset. I wasn't sure which one I'd rather it be. Not like I wanted to or anything but, if he was relieved then I guess I would be forever mentally labeled as the single only girl who a boy was relieved to not have to touch. Then, on the other hand if he was upset he had no right to be.

The room was silenced, and for the first time it was awkward. It was really, really awkward. We both had said the wrong things to each other; and now we just sat waiting for someone to say something.

"Well if you'd like to go home now I understand," He said, and got off of the bed.

"I don't want to go home, but I don't want to just sit around here doing nothing"

"Then let's take a second chance at that adventure, huh?" He smiled cheekily and reached his hand out for mine.

"And what is this adventure going to be?" I asked, smoothing out the wrinkles that had formed on my favorite blue sweater.

"I'm a man of my word, Ava," He said and began opening drawers to search for something. I didn't know what he meant by that, and I just hoped he was talking about something like going out to eat or to a night at the fair even though I knew neither of those were even an option. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. Harry walked over to the door and gestured for me to come out with him.

"I said I would kill him."