Chapter 1

Claire jumped and grabbed hold of the lowest branch. She braced her feet against the trunk and used all of her upper body strength to heave herself up onto the branch. When she had her stomach on the branch, she swung her left leg over to get onto a comfortable sitting position. She couldn't wait until she was taller and the part of getting onto the first branch was much easier. She scooted closer to the trunk and then reached up until she had a firm hold of the thicker branch above her. She slowly moved to a standing position and then climbed up to the bigger branch. Claire did this until she reached her favorite spot, a little nook where two large and sturdy branches parted from the trunk, creating a small hollow where she could sit comfortably. She could even lie back if she wanted to. At this point, the branches above became thinner and would no longer hold Claire's weight. She could go up no higher but it was okay because she was far enough above the ground that no one could reach her. She hid her secret things in the tree's hollow, like her journal, where Ceres couldn't get them. When the leaves on the tree were in full bloom, Claire was well hidden and you couldn't see her unless you stood under the tree and looked directly up.

"Hoy unggoy!"

Claire frowned and looked down to see who was disturbing her peace. Standing down below, peering up at her, was Henry. He was her Kuya CJ's best friend from school and he comes home with them everyday after school and stays until dinner time. Then after they eat, Daddy takes him home. Sometimes he stays with them on the weekends and he doesn't go home until Sunday night. He practically lives at their house and likes to annoy Claire to no end.

"Ang taas mo, papagalitan ka ulit ni Tita Leah kapag nakita ka niya diyan, sige ka."

"Hindi naman niya malalaman kung walang magsasabi, diba?" Claire yelled down.

"Diba nahulog ka na sa puno dati?" Henry asked. "Hindi ka ba natatakot?"

She had fallen from a tree and broken her arm two years ago, but that was from a tree at school. This was her tree. Claire knew every branch of this tree and she just how to climb it and how to keep her balance.

"Hindi! Hindi naman ako duwag tulad mo!"

"Sino tinatawag mong duwag?" Henry demanded.

"Sino pa ba kausap ko?" Claire taunted.

She knew that Henry was afraid of heights, though he would never admit to being scared of anything. Determinedly, he grabbed the first branch of the tree, not needing to jump like Claire did. He heaved himself up onto the branch.

Claire watched as Henry slowly made his way up the tree, worried for the first time that her private fortress was being penetrated. Kuya CJ never came up here because he was afraid of heights, but even if he wasn't he wouldn't climb up the tree anyway because it makes Mommy and Daddy mad and Kuya CJ was nothing if not obedient. Ceres was too small to climb up plus climbing trees was too much physical exertion for her. She'd much rather sit under the tree with her iPad. When Claire bribed her with giving her share of desserts or doing her chores, Ceres would cover for Claire and not tell Mommy and Daddy she was in the tree when they came looking.

But now Henry was halfway up and still climbing. Claire noticed that he was focusing on not looking down and was very intently watching where he placed his feet and hands on the branches. When he pulled himself up on her branch, he grinned at her triumphantly.

"Sabi ko sa 'yo hindi ako duwag," he said.

Claire rolled her eyes. "Look down."

Henry's eyes inadvertently went downwards and he swallowed hard, his grip on the branch tightening until his knuckles turned white. Claire took pity on him.