Reading Lists

Reading Lists – making them and adding stories.

So you’ve found a really interesting story and you don’t want to lose track of it? Add it to your reading list!

But you don’t have one? Then make one! Here’s how:

Above the cover of the story, there are two buttons: “Add” and “Share”. Click on “Add”. A menu will pop up saying the story is added to your Library. If you want to have it there, click “Done”; if you want to add it to a reading list, write the name to the list in the empty spot at the bottom of the menu, click on the check box before it and then on “Done”.

Now you have created a new list and added your first story to it. If you want to add other books to the same list, click on that book, then repeat the process:

1. Click “Add”.

2. Click on the check box before the desired reading list.

3. Click on “Done”.

It really is that simple.

Once a story is added to your library or reading list, the “Add” button on top turns into “Manage”. You can use that if you decide to move the story to a different list. You just click on “Manage” then on the check box in front of the list you want it removed from. After that you click on the check box to the list you want the story included in and then on “Done”.

Still vague?

Okay, I’ll give you a step-by-step example with my Here We Go Again by making a new list to add it to. After you read the instructions, look at the gif picture in the Multimedia section to this chapter so that things will be clearer. I’m also posting the link to that picture as an external link and in the comments below so that you’ll be able to see a larger version of it.

1. Click on the desired story (Here We Go Again in this case). By the way, you can add a story from the summary page (like in this example) or while you are reading a chapter.

2. Click on “Add”.

3. If you don’t want the book in your library, click on the check box before it to remove it from there.

4. At the bottom of the pop up menu you’ll see an option to create a new list. Just type in the name there. In this case, it will be “Here We Go Again-related stories”.

5. Once you’ve typed the name of the new list, click on the check box before it. You have now added the story to that new reading list.

6. Click on “Done”.

Can you have one story in multiple reading lists?

Yes, you can add a story to as many lists as you want.

What about having a book in a reading list and in your library?

That is also possible, if you want it.

So what are the differences between a library and a reading list?

I don’t think there are big differences between those. Except:

1. You can have only one library but several reading lists.

2. You can’t rename the library.

3. People who go to your profile can browse through your reading lists but not through your library. I guess that makes it more private. If someone is following you they’ll still get a message when you add a book to the library and they’ll also see which book it is.

How to edit a reading list?

Remember the drop menu from the previous chapter? The one you used to edit your profile? We are going to use it again. Only this time you won’t click on “PROFILE” but on “READING LISTS”. Once you do that you’ll be taken to the page with your reading lists. Click on “Edit” (it’s at the top) and you’ll be redirected to a new page.

Here you can change the title of the list. Now move your mouse over the cover of a story in that list. See the little xthat shows up at the top right corner of the cover? If you want a story removed from the list, click on it. Once you are done with the changes to the title and/or have removed the undesired stories, click on “Save all changes”. That’s the black button with the white diskette that is right next to the name of your reading list.

Another way to access the Edit menu is by going to your profile and clicking on the grey arrow which is next to the books in that list.

Okay, so what about the “Share” button I mentioned before? What does it do?

If you click on it, you’ll be able to share the link of the story on sites such as facebook, twitter, tumblr, google+ and pinterest. You can also email the link to your friends.

How does that help you?

It doesn’t. It is designed to help the authors and wattpad. By sharing the link with your friends, they might get to read, vote and comment on the story, making it and wattpad more popular. So if you enjoy a writer’s work and want to support them, share their story!

This reminds me: in the previous chapter I said that I’ll tell you why are reading lists useful for both you and the writers whose stories you add.

Why is it good for you to have reading lists?

To be able to categorize the stories you read, of course. You can divide them into “Currently Reading”, “To Read” and “Already Read”. You really enjoyed a certain book? Add it to your “To Re-read” list!

You can also separate stories by genre; just entitle your lists “Teen Fiction”, “Action”, “Fantasy”, etc. Remember that I told you one story can be in many lists? If the book you like is Non-Fiction and Drama, make two lists – one per each genre – and add it to both.

Tip: some people find it useful to create lists such as “Completed”, “On-going” and “On hold”. Why don’t you try it?

How does a writer benefit from your reading lists?

Just like with sharing the link to a story, adding it to your list helps it become more popular.

When a person clicks on your profile page, they often look at who you follow, which stories you voted and commented on and which you added to your library.

Let’s say the two of us talked and we like the same books. What happens then? I check your lists in search of new material to read, of course. If I like a story from there, I’ll add it to my own list where other people will see it and check it out as well.

So something as simple as you clicking on that “Add” button actually starts a chain reaction and helps your favorite writers to gain a larger audience. As one of those writers I say to all of you a big, sincere THANK YOU!

This chapter is turning a bit long so I’ll stop here. If you have any questions, ask in the comments below.

Next topic: how and why to support other writers and what are the benefits for them and you. And trust me when I say this: there are benefits in it for you, especially if you aspire to become a writer yourself.