Experiments, Experience, and Emotions

"Can you hand me- Ah thanks."

Mercy did not have to look back behind her to know that he nodded to acknowledge her thank and that he was doubtlessly standing somewhere out of her way. It felt so familiar and natural, almost as if he knew exactly what she needed and wanted in her work environment. The way that he stood out of every possible path she could take from her current location and the way he was situated exactly where she would need the next item from. It was all so ... perfect.

However, she did not have the time to dwell on such thoughts at that moment. Instead, Mercy took the test tube and placed it under her microscope, inspecting it before nodding to herself.

As she did so, she could hear Genji's soft footsteps around her right side, picking up the tablets on the table and the other small items scattered about. She was never one to be exactly keen about neatness in the midst of her experiments after all. That being said, Overwatch was not an organization with an infinite supply of funds. At least, not anymore.

"Alright, it'll work this time!"

While she has never been able to confirm it and the ninja always refused to answer her inquiry, she always had a feeling that he smiled to himself behind his visor every time she said it. Even so, she knew that he meant no offense as he stood watching as she took the test tube and brought it up to the lip of the other container. She has said that so many times now, he probably couldn't help himself. The new vaccine solution has not proven to be successful so far. Each time the two chemicals mix, they came apart or fizzled out. At worst, it made the glass smoke a bit from the acidity level.

"Ready when you are, doctor."

Mercy spared a moment to glance back at the source of the voice very close behind her. She smirked at him, "I don't recall hiring a new assistant. I hope you weren't expecting me to pay you."

Without another word, she looked back toward her experiment and took a deep breath before mixing the two chemicals into the larger beaker.

The next thing she recalled after a large flash and ear-ringing explosion was being on the ground. Angela let out a soft groan and blinked rapidly, her eyes recovering from the change of lighting from the previous moment in the lab. When she regained her vision, she found herself gazing up at the visor of a certain cyborg mere inches from her face.

Even with it on, she could still imagine his face through it, probably with a look of concern that was unsuitable for such a handsome visage. Well, it was sweet and wonderful expression for any man to have, but she didn't want to see it on him. Especially not when she was the person who caused that expression to appear.

As she quickly came to realize the situation that they were in, Angela's cheeks heated up to a soft pink hue as she gulped gently. Her body wanted to respond in some way, in a manner that her mind did not remember and did not figure out.

However, Genji saved her the need to finish the thought as he got up from her. She felt her body lose its tension as her heartbeat slowed down just a bit. It was probably just the adrenaline from the event. That must have been what had happened. After all, why else would her heart and body react like that?

She placed her hand gently into his metallic one, allowing herself to be helped up to a standing position before dusting herself off with her eyes closed. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly before opening her eyes to try her best to calmly assess the damage.

Despite her preparation, Mercy squeezed her eyes shut again with a groan as she placed her face neatly into her palm, one arm across her chest to support her other elbow. She felt a pair of hands on her shoulder, massaging her shoulder pleasantly enough to possibly make her coo had her head not hurt so much.