Not another pair of love spectacles

“I’m really quite glad that some magazine has decided to do an article on wrack spurts, they’re really very interesting, y’know.” Luna Lovegood picked up her copy of the Quibbler and leaned against the wall behind her, flicking through the pages. 

It was the next day, way after lunch and I still hadn’t sorted things out with Hermione. I also hadn’t spoken to Dean; I was waiting until the potion wore off. So since all of my friends were still on holiday I had to turn to loopy Lovegood. “That’s great Luna. Do you know what the time is?” Luna glanced down at her oversized watch with miniature carrot for hands. 

“Nearly tea time.” She flipped the page again “Bit too early to go down yet, though.”

I sighed, fidgeting unnaturally on my seat. I didn’t want to sit with Luna in the empty library, watching her read the Quibbler and listen to her moans about the lack of Wrack Spurt based journalism nowadays. I wanted to find Dean Thomas and explain to him what I’d done and that it was an accident. Then I could finally get with Dean – I mean, Harry, of course…

“Oh, gosh.” Luna said, peeling a pair of free glasses from the page “Not another pair of love spectacles. I’ve already got some.” This didn’t seem to trouble her that much as she shoved them onto her nose and looked around. “No love here.” She stated. 

“What?” I squeaked, my head snapping up “You can see love through them?” 

“Well, of course, Silly!” Luna smiled, as though this was common knowledge. “When you put them on you see a mist around a person. If they’re in love it’s a red mist. Or…” 

“Or what?” I asked 

“Or if the person is under the influence of love potion the mist glows pink! Although that’s extremely rare.” She assured me. 

Crap! I screamed in my head. She would have been able to tell that Dean was love potioned! Oh, no!

“So, um…” I cleared my throat, casually “So did you see any mists at the Gryffindor table at dinner last night?” Luna didn’t notice anything unusual and just shrugged. 

“Yes, actually…” My heart skipped a beat “But it was a red mist not a pink…so that means…” 

“That someone is in love!” I exclaimed “But no pink?” I checked  

“No…it’s difficult to get your hands on it during term time and difficult to give to someone.” Luna thought she knew it all…but she didn’t. It was very easy to accidentally potion someone and Dean Thomas should have a pink mist. Stupid free glasses never work, though, do they? 

Although Luna was a dear I really couldn’t listen to more of her warblings so I decided to go find Dean earlier than first anticipated. No doubt he would be ecstatic to see me…urgh…

“Luna, I must dash. I’ve got to meet up with someone. I’ll see you later on.” I excused myself, grabbing my bag and stepping over the bench. 

“Maybe I’ll bump into you in the Gryffindor common room tonight.” She muttered. I paused, she wasn’t in Gryffindor! I pointed this minor detail out to her. 

“Oh, yes. I sleep walk. That’s why I wear shoes to bed!” she explained. 

Feeling completely not assured by her so-called explanation that actually raised more questions than it answered, I set off to find Dean. I wandered around the halls for ages. Once bumping into Ron who was pouring Bertty Bott’s every flavoured beans into his open mouth. I also met Harry as he ran up the stairs from the entrance hall, carrying Quidditch through the ages. I was just going to walk on by, with a smile when I grabbed his shoulder.