BEFORE: A Warning

I feel like I should warn you: I'm more of a ticking time bomb than I am a person. And this isn't a love story.

I still don't know if I love him. I know I still don't love myself.

I know that I'm a murderer.

That's who I am now: a boy pulled beneath a strong tide, into a dark place of magik and death. The pulse of another boy, one made of flames, beating against mine as I curl into him in the darkness.

The nothing I made out of what was once a person, what once were two people.

The nothing I made of us.

The thrill of it—menace and shadows spreading beneath my skin like spilled ink, until I was powerless to pull myself back out—that became like an addiction, magik tearing away tiny fractions of my bleak life one by one until I was left to the harsh light. The pain of it, of every tiny loss, I craved it. It was like death.

You have to understand that I wasn't looking to get saved, that I'd done my best to make it look like I didn't need saving at all.

I'd done my best to actually not need it.

Especially not in the electrical surge of magik, or in a boy. The two of us, we were both cold and unfinished, jagged edges and unforgiving steel. Two weapons waiting to be used against each other.

It was only a matter of time before we fucking destroyed ourselves.