Chapter 1: Exposition

Angels deliver Fate to our doorstep - and anywhere else it is needed.

(Jessi Lane Adams)

"Psst!" a voice called out from the bushes. Eleanor stopped, looking around and saw no one. She must be imagining things.

"Psst! Over here!" Okay, this time it was definitely coming from the bush. She crept closer and peered at the bush, but again nothing. Maybe she needed to sleep more. She had been up late the night before texting Louis.

"Just appear already!" A new voice hissed.

"But they aren't supposed to actually see us," the original voice hissed back.

"Yeah," the other voice whispered sarcastically. "Cause we're not breaking all the rules already."

"Don't remind me," the original voice groaned.

"Okay, am I hallucinating or what?" Eleanor asked out loud. "I don't do drugs so this must be a head injury right? Or some crazy, vivid dream?"

"Oh geez," the second voice groaned. "Now she thinks she's hallucinating. Do what you want. I'm appearing!" Within seconds Eleanor found a young man with bright red hair, freckles, and a mischievous smile on his face standing in front of her. He was clothed in a pair of worn out jeans and a faded Rolling

Stones shirt. Of all the questions swirling through her mind only one slipped out.

"Why aren't you wearing any shoes?" Eleanor asked.

"Damn! I knew I forgot something," the redhead said snapping his fingers. "Shoes aren't really needed where I come from."

"Where do you come from?"

"Heaven." Now Eleanor was sure she was hallucinating.

"Why don't you just tell her everything while you're at it?" that original voice snapped. Then a slender girl with stick straight blonde hair appeared in a charcoal business suit. Again without shoes. El noticed that she had one green eye and one brown eye. She looked back over at the redhead to see that he also had one blue eye and one brown eye.

"Mel, what are you wearing?" The redhead asked. "This isn't a law office."

"Some of us don't dress like bums, Hilary." The blonde snapped. "I'm trying to get her to take us seriously!"

"My name is not Hilary! It's Hilarion. HILARION!" Eleanor giggled as the redhead bounced up and down throwing a tantrum like a little child.

"Cool it Hil," the blonde said. "We're wasting too much time as it is."

"Just remember that I'm helping you," Hilarion said before turning his gaze back to Eleanor. "Hi, I'm Hilarion! You don't know me, but I know you!" He raced forward hugging her tight. "It's so great to finally meet you in person! You're adorable!"

"Oh my," Eleanor said with a chuckle. "This dream is very vivid."

"If it's a dream then I must be asleep too," Louis said coming up behind Eleanor. "Cause I see them too."

"Louis!" Hilarion shouted hugging him now. "My babies! You're both so grown up!"

"Hil, let him go," Mel said pulling Hilarion back. "You're scaring them." She turned and smiled at the young couple who stood in shock. "I'm Melibea and this idiot is Hilarion. We're Guardians."

"Is this making any sense to you?" Eleanor asked as she reached out to clutch her boyfriend's hand.

"Not at all," Louis murmured back. "Do you think we're drunk?"