Chapter One - The Fantasy Project

EMMA - HERE

Knock knock knock knock.

"Emma, you in there?"

"Yeah, just a second," I responded, grabbing the nearest object, Without Words, and jamming the book into my ever-present black backpack and flipping my Wrock music off. I was definitely gonna need it. Today we were touring my father's company, Princeton, and Henry couldn't have been more excited- it was the world's leading video-game company after all, not to mention the fact that he was a main inventor of HIT (Holographic Imaging Technology). Henry treated my father like a celebrity, and I used to think that was the only reason we were even friends. But after knowing him for seven years, I'm pretty sure I can trust him.

I sauntered out the door, flinging my bag over my shoulder and, in doing so, whacked Henry right in the eye. Yes, I said eye. He's only got one. I leaned over to see if he was okay immediately. "Henry! Oh my gosh, I'm so sor-"

"Yeah, it's okay," he rubbed it off, his momentary pain changing back into his ever-present happiness. "Ready to go?" he grinned.

"Sure," I sighed. I had been to Princeton hundreds of times. Wait, no, make that thousands. Dad always wanted my input on their newest games, interrogating me over and over. I could probably write a five-page essay on the uses on child appeal based on personal experience. If my mother was around (which, no offense, you can't exactly blame her for), it might not be so bad, but sometimes the only reason he even notices me is because of - you guessed it - beta testing. Henry was overjoyed, needless to say, but I found him it utterly, extraordinarily, boring. 'Spending the day with your arrogant bastard of a father' was probably not what typically came up when one Googled 'fun'.

 "Henry!" my father cheered as we got into his shiny, expensive Limited Edition (what else?) Mustang. All he gave to me was a curt nod. My father simply adored Henry. Any kid who was ready to test his stupid ideas was, in his eyes, worthwhile. Not that I didn't like Henry; in some ways he reflected my best qualities my father was blind to: loyalty, trust, and, my favorite, understanding.

"Ready to go?"

__________________________________________________________

At his office he announced that he had a 'surprise' for us. Honestly, it'd be 'surprising' if I could make it through the tour without dying of boredom first. What is there to see at a video game factory?! "Sit back, relax, and enjoy...." (insert enthusiastic grin here) 'THE FANTASY PROJECT!"

"The Fantasy Project?!" I don't think I had ever seen the poor guy spaz out so much in my entire life. I'm surprised his eye patch stayed on. "TFP is... Is... It's legendary!!" Henry exclaimed dramatically, waving his hands for emphasis.

My father smiled- at Henry, of course. "Well, you kids seem pretty excited. I'll be right back!"

"The... Fantasy Project?" I asked after my father left the room, raising an eyebrow. Didn't seem like a thing a guy would spaz out over. "And that would be..?"

"Only 'The Most Anticipated Game Of All Time'!"

"And The... Fantasy Project appeals to you... how?" Emphasis on 'fantasy'.

Henry rolled his eyes- er, eye. "Emma, please don't tell me you've never dreamed of being a princess."

I shrugged. Couldn't deny my childish want. "I blame Disney."

Henry sighed. "Whatever. The point is, you, in fact, actually can be a princess in this game."

 "Tell me more!" I not-so-excitedly said.

"Well, it doesn't have to be a princess. You can be anything, really, and so can I. Hate to tell ya, Em, but  girls aren't the only ones with fairy-tale dreams," he winked, flopping back on the squishy couch in my father's office.

At that point, my father conveniently decided to re-enter his office. "Okay kids," he said brightly. "Ready to get this show on the road?"

Damn, today was going to be a long day.

A/N: I will eventually actually write names for the chapters, but right now I'm just focusing on actually writing the darn thing. (And the fact that I updated this thing, like, THREE TIMES in the last forty-eight hours!!! :D That would have been twenty-four, but computer time is now very limited.) Anyway, enjoy. As always, feedback is GREATLY appreciated! Many thanks to the amazing GALLIXIE who I love for making the current cover! :D